International Student and Scholar Services

Maintain Status as a J-1 Student Intern

St. Cloud State University welcomes student interns in order to allow them to enhance their skills and gain exposure to U.S. culture and business in a way that is useful when they return to their home country upon completion of their internship.

Maintaining Lawful J-1 Status

All J-1 Exchange Visitors present in the United States are required to follow specific rules established by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) in order to maintain legal U.S. immigration status.

Maintain Your Training/Internship Placement Plan

Your DS-7002 was issued based on a definite phases of training or tasks to be performed with a specific objective for each phase and was agreed upon between your program sponsor, phase supervisor,  and our institution.  DOS requires that the training and tasks be maintained throughout your stay in J-1 status. If you plan to change your training/internship placement plan in any way (including a change in location, training, tasks, supervisor, etc.) you must contact the Center for International Studies in order to ensure that the change is permitted.

Maintain a Valid DS-2019

Do not allow your DS-2019 Program End Date to expire. If you will need additional time to complete your training/internship training plan, please speak with the Center for International Studies to determine eligibility. 

Keep Your Local Address Updated

You are required to update your address with the Center for International Studies within 10 days of moving.

Please send an email to to notify us of any changes.

Early Completion of Training/Internship

If you are planning to complete your J-1 Exchange Visitor Program prior to the program end date on your DS-2019, contact the Center for International Studies for next steps.

Grace Period

At the end of the Program End Date listed on the DS-2019, the J-1 Exchange Visitor may remain in the United States up to 30 days.

During this 30 day grace period, the J-1 Exchange Visitor may remain in the United States and prepare to leave. It is not permissible to continue at the student's internship site during the grace period.

Once the J-1 Exchange Visitor exits the U.S. after the Program End Date listed on the DS-2019, the individual may not re-enter.

Health Insurance

You and any accompanying dependents are required to maintain health insurance for the entire period of your stay in the United States.

For more information about the health insurance policy at St. Cloud State University, please click here.

For information regarding the health insurance benefits, account information, and policy details, please click here.


Documents required for travel outside the U.S.
  • Passport valid 6 months into the future
  • Valid DS-2019 with travel validation (travel signature)
  • Valid J-1 visa
Travel procedures to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean Islands
  • A valid U.S. entry visa is not required if you travel to a contiguous territory (Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands excluding Cuba) for less than 30 days.
  • If a person in J-1 Exchange Visitor status enters the U.S. from the contiguous territories within 30 days, the entry visa is considered to be automatically extended to the date of re-entry provided the entry visa has not been canceled or voided.  This is called automatic visa revalidation. If you plan to use this procedure, do not surrender your valid I-94 card to immigration officials when leaving the United States.
  • Note: Citizens of Iran, Sudan, Syria and Cuba are NOT eligible for automatic visa revalidation. Also the automatic visa revalidation provision excludes aliens who applied for a U.S. entry visa in Canada or Mexico and whose visa application was denied.
  • Certain individuals require an entry visa before entering Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands. Please contact the appropriate consulate for information.
Travel procedures to all other countries
  • To travel to any other country you should have a valid, unexpired J-1 visa in your passport (Canadians excluded).
  • If you do not, you must apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy abroad. You should also have a letter from your department confirming your employment. Please let the Center for International Studies know that you are planning to travel at least a month in advance so that we can endorse your DS-2019 for travel.
Obtaining or renewing a J-1 visa in your home country
  • Check with the appropriate U.S. embassy for general information about visa services.
  • Follow the procedure you used when you obtained your previous visa(s) to enter the United States. Bring a current proof of financial support.
  • The required documents vary by country so please ask for a list of required documents at the U.S. Embassy in your home country before you leave the United States.
  • Due to security background checks, the processing of your visa may take a considerable amount of time.
Obtaining or renewing a J-1 Visa in Canada or Mexico
  • If you want to apply to obtain or renew your J-1 visa in Canada or Mexico rather than in your home country, you must make an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance. Schedule online at:
  • If your visa is denied, you will not be able to re-enter the U.S. under automatic visa revalidation.

State and Federal Taxes

All J-1 Exchange Visitors must file both state and federal tax forms every year that they are in the U.S. if they are paid while working at their training/internship site.

The deadlines to file the forms are April 15, if U.S. money is earned, and June 15, if no U.S. money is earned.

For more information, click here.



All student interns must be evaluated at the conclusion of their training/internship program.  Those programs lasting more than 6 months must do a midpoint and concluding evaluation.

Evaluations should describe the student intern's projects and assessment of effort and quality of work.

Completed evaluations must be submitted to the Center for International Studies to retain for three years completion of the student's internship.