International Student and Scholar Services
OPT Reporting Requirements
The Center for International Studies will continue to maintain and update your SEVIS record while on OPT. It is your responsibility to report the following required information.
When do you need to submit a OPT update?
Within 10 days of the start of your OPT period (i.e. the start date on your EAD card), you must report your:
- Start/end date of your employment
- Employer name and address
- Your residential address
- And a statement of how the employment is related to your course of study
How do I report my OPT updates?
You will need to login to the SEVP Portal
How do I set-up my SEVP Portal account?
- Once your OPT request is approved, you will receive an email with instructions on how to create your SEVP Portal account. You can recognize the email by the sender and subject line:
Subject line: Optional Practical Training Approval – the next step. Create an SEVP Portal
- Click the link in the email and the “Register” page in the SEVP Portal registration process will open. You can only use the link once and it is only good for 14 days. The day the email is sent counts as the first day.
- Enter your SEVIS ID. If you enter this incorrectly three times you will be locked out.
- Click “Submit”.
- Enter a password. SEVP Portal Password Tips Sheet.
- Confirm the password.
- Click “Create Account”.
The SEVP Portal will only send emails related to your portal account and will always come from "do-not-reply.SEVP@ice.dhs.gov."
If you get locked out of your SEVP Portal account you must do the following:
- Subject: SEVP Portal Account Reset
- Text: Last name, First name, Tech ID, SEVIS identification (ID) number, personal email
A new I-20 is not automatically printed every time you make changes to your SEVP Portal. If you would like a new I-20 or have plans to travel outside of the U.S. and need a new travel signature to re-enter, please do the following:
- Subject: OPT I-20 Re-print
- Text: Last name, First name, Tech ID, SEVIS identification (ID) number, personal email, and include a statement as to why the re-print is requested
For further assistance:
Maintaining an Active SEVP Portal Account