International Student and Scholar Services
Reduced Course Load & Full-Time Equivalency
All international students attending St. Cloud State University under F-1 student status are required to be enrolled in a full-time course load to maintain their F-1 student status.
Full-time enrollment at St. Cloud State University includes:
- 12 credits for undergraduate students
- 8 credits for master's students
- 6 credits for doctoral students
In certain circumstances, international students under F-1 student status may be eligible to enroll in less than a full-time course load. All enrollment adjustments require prior approval from the Center for International Studies. See below for links on how to complete a reduce course load (RCL) and Full-Time Equivalency (FTE).
Advising International Students
International students under F-1 student status at St. Cloud State University have unique advising needs because they must maintain their non-immigration status and meet university academic requirements:
- They are required to be enrolled full-time in both the fall and spring semesters. Full-time enrollment is not required during the summer unless it is the student's first semester at St. Cloud State University.
- They can only count 3 credits of online/distant education toward their full-time enrollment each semester. An online/distant education course is a course that is offered principally through the use of television, audio, or computer transmission including open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, or satellite, audio conferencing, or computer conferencing.
- They cannot enroll in only an online/distant education course their final semester of study.
- They cannot pursue 100% online/distant education certificate or degree programs.
- They can enroll in less than a full-time enrollment if they are approved for either a Full-Time Equivalency (FTE) or Reduced Course Load (RCL).
- If a student is not enrolled in a full-time course load and is not approved for a FTE or RCL their SEVIS record will be terminated.
- They can enroll in a course/s at another institution as long as the following are met:
- Enrolled at least part-time at St. Cloud State University
- Student's academic department accepts course/s to count directly towards student's degree requirements
- Proof of enrollment at SEVIS-Approved School
- They are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During breaks and summer vacations they may work more than 20 hours per week on-campus.
- They must be enrolled in a full-time course load or be approved for a FTE/RCL to work on-campus.
- During the summer break, they must be enrolled in a full-time course load during the upcoming fall semester or be approved for a FTE/RCL.
Types of Authorization
Full-Time Equivalency (FTE)
- Full-Time Curricular Practical Training
- Concurrent Enrollment
- Culminating project/Dissertation/Starred Paper/Thesis/Capstone