Pre-tax benefits allow an employee to pay for certain expenses with money that is deducted from pay before it is taxed. Because the employee is taxed less, take-home pay may be more. The following are pre-tax benefits:
- Health and Dental Premium Expense Account: The amount the employee pays for health and dental insurance is automatically withdrawn from the employee's pay before it is taxed, unless a form is signed declining this benefit.
- Dependent Care Expense Account: This allows the employee to pay for certain dependent care expenses, such as child care, with pre-tax dollars.
- Medical/Dental Expense Account: This allows the employee to pay for certain unreimbursed medical and dental expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Parking Permit Expense Account: This pre-tax Transit Expense Plan is another way to get the most money from a paycheck. The plan allows the employee to pay for qualified transportation expenses with money that is sheltered pre-tax. If the employee elects payroll deduction to pay for a parking permit, it will automatically be deducted from the employee's paycheck before taxes. It is recommended that an employee uses payroll deduction since parking charges cross two calendar years and to avoid the reimbursement paperwork.
Benefit Resource (BRI) Online
BRI offers an online access to flexible benefit account information and forms.
- You can view current and previous years account information.
- The telephone number for is 1-800-300-1672 or 1-612-877-4321.
Benny Card - Check your balances and transactions for your pretax medical/dental or HRA account! To register to use this site your Username will be your SEMA 4 (payroll) ID number + the last four digits of your SSN and your password will be your SEMA 4 (payroll) ID number + the last four digits of your SSN. Upon initial login you will be instructed to create and confirm a new password.