Center for Continuing Studies
Software Essentials for the Legal Office
This is an accelerated online course for legal professionals who want to improve their skills and knowledge of computer technology and programs commonly used in law offices.
Hands-on exercises will teach you:
- how to work with programs such as MS PowerPoint, Practice Master’s Tabs 3, AbacusLaw, Trial Director and LexisNexis Casemap & TimeMap;
- common billing procedures and payment agreements, accurate time tracking, proper calendar and docketing procedures; and
- processes for electronic discovery.
Through real-life scenarios, you'll examine ethical issues involved in the use of technology in a legal practice.
- Introduction to computers
- Legal timekeeping and billing software
- Databases, case management & docket control software
- Electronic discovery
- Litigation support software
- The electric courthouse, automated courtroom & presentation graphics
- You are expected to spend at least 50 hours of study, or about 9 hours per lesson, reading and completing writing assignments.
- Extensions are not granted for this online course.
- 70 percent is the minimum passing score on all tests and assignments.
What you earn
Successful graduates earn a certificate of completion from St. Cloud State University, and a certificate of course hours completed from The Center for Legal Studies.
Advanced Paralegal Certificate
eDiscovery for Paralegals
Personal Injury for Paralegals