Education Abroad

Safety Planning

You should plan with your family what you will do in case of an emergency. Things to think about:

  • How will you quickly access emergency funds?
    Consider a prepaid bank card that a family member can fund. 

  • What if you are hospitalized?
    Determine who will stay with you. If your group is traveling, ask your faculty director for a plan of action. Your insurance, which is HTH Worldwide, has a network of English-speaking doctors. You will not pay up-front if you go to the facility HTH recommends.

  • What is your communication plan with family members?
    Set a regular communication schedule. Inform family if you can't communicate on-schedule.

As a precaution, a family member or close friend should have a passport and the means to travel to the country where you are studying.

Should an emergency arise, our Public Safety switchboard can accept collect calls 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Staff are trained to accept calls from Education Abroad participants or their families. They will take your information and contact the appropriate individuals as quickly as possible.

Safety and Security Resources

For information about student health safety abroad, visit and browse the Minnesota Office of Higher Education's Student Aboad Health and Safety Report.

Registering with the U.S. State Department

Staff at our Center for International Studies register Education Abroad participants with the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate.

Email alerts are sent to your St. Cloud State email account. During a disaster or a health epidemic, American consular officers will help you evacuate.

You will receive a wallet-sized card in your departure packet. It has the American Embassy phone number for the nation where you are studying. Keep this card on your person.

Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is a worldwide issue. Response to sexual harassment and assault varies from nation to nation.

Your safety and health is a priority. You should never feel obligated to engage in activities that make you uncomfortable. If you experience harassment or sexual violence while abroad, get to a safe place. Notify your faculty director, local police or an individual whom you trust.

Risk reduction:

  • Travel with friends
  • Learn key phrases in the local language
  • Keep emergency contact information with you
  • Pay attention to your surroundings
  • Resources from our Women’s Center

Reporting on Campus

We understand reporting an incident isn’t an easy process. You have the right to decide when and to whom you report the incident.

Contact the Gender Violence Prevention Program for confidential support.

Lee LaDue

Contact the SCSU Title IX Coordinator to assist in maintaining a safe educational environment.

Ellyn Bartges

Call Public Safety at +1-320-308-3333 anytime, toll-free.

  • Report form for sexual misconduct, dating/relationship violence and stalking.

Reporting to Local Police

If you choose to report an assault to police, be aware the report may not be confidential.

Physical and Mental Care

It is important to seek treatment for injuries and testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy or emergency contraception. Some countries require the physician to notify the police about incidents of sexual assault.

  • Assessing your needs – If you experience sexual violence while on a study abroad trip, know that you have options, you have rights and you have support services to help you decide how to respond.
  • Seeking medical care – A guide for obtaining medical and support for reporting.
  • A guide for family and friends (PDF) – If a loved one experiences sexual violence, here are ways you can help.