Education Abroad

Academic Planning

A benefit of studying abroad is earning credits towards graduation. Depending on the education abroad program you choose, the credits you earn abroad may take some time to be posted onto your St. Cloud State transcript. 

Academic Approval Form

When you start an application for a semester-long education abroad program you must meet with your academic advisor in order to complete the Academic Approval Form. Although course schedules may change once you arrive to your host university, planning ahead helps keep you on track towards your degree.

  1. Find courses
    1. Visit the website of your host university. Some universities will post a list of courses offered during the current or upcoming semester
    2. Find courses by visiting the Education Abroad website and clicking on your program. Depending on which program you choose, there may already be course equivalencies worked out with the Advising office. For example, students who plan to study at Southern Cross University in Australia can find a list of course equivalencies on the Education Abroad website
    3. Find courses by visiting the Education Abroad office. The staff will provide a list of courses that students have taken in the past through your program. Keep in mind that these courses are not set in stone until you officially register for courses through your host university
  2. Identify seven to eight courses that fit your academic track and/or are of interest to you
    1. Try to find a course description
    2. If a syllabus is available, bring the syllabus to your advising appointment
  3. Make an appointment with your academic advisor
    1. Bring as much information as possible about your education abroad program and the courses you plan on taking while abroad
    2. You may need to meet with more than one advisor; major courses must be approved by major advisors
    3. If you do not know who your advisor is, visit the Advising and Student Transitions office
  4. Scan the completed Academic Approval Form and upload it to your online education abroad application


Transcript Process


Short Programs

For short-term programs led by SCSU faculty, students will enroll directly in a SCSU course. Students will not receive a separate transcript, unless the education abroad credits are earned through a third-party provider.


Semester Programs

Students who complete a semester-long program will earn credits from the host university – these credits will be placed onto your SCSU academic records as Pass/Fail.

Once the Center for International Studies receives your transcript, there are additional steps you must take to finalize the transfer of credits. It may take up to two months for the host university to send a transcript to SCSU. There are many academic units involved in the transcript process; this means it can take up to 2- 4 additional months for the credits completed abroad to be processed and placed onto your SCSU transcript.

If you plan to graduate right after your semester abroad, your graduation will be delayed until all credits are officially placed onto your SCSU transcript.


Non-SCSU Students

Students from other institutions who wish to participate in a SCSU program must register as a Special Student. Once you are registered, you may enroll in the appropriate course for your short-term education abroad program. Upon completion of the program, you can order your SCSU transcript here.

Students of MN State institutions should register at SCSU for their education abroad program. SCSU will grant credits that can be transferred to the student’s home university.