Education Abroad

Health and Insurance Planning

Medical Consultation

Before you leave the U.S., you need to have a health exam during which you can discuss medical concerns, immunizations and vaccinations.  

The exam should happen within three weeks of being accepted into a program.

You can complete the medical consultation form (PDF) two ways:

  • Make an appointment at Student Health Services, where medical professionals can assist you
  • Have your health care provider help you

Tell the medical provider about scheduled side trips. Health concerns and disease-protection tactics vary from nation to nation, region to region.

medical exam


The legailty of some medications may vary from nation to nation. For example, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder prescriptions may not clear customs. Discuss this with your medical provider. 


Health and travel insurance

Your program fee covers emergency medical insurance, including emergency evacuation. Your insurance provider is HTH Worldwide (GeoBlue). Review the terms of this insurance. You can get more information from the Center for International Studies.

For plan details and benefits, sign into using the certificate number on the front of your HTH medical insurance card. Eligible participants can track claims, search for a doctor, view plan information, download claim forms and get health and security information.


Liability insurance

Consider purchasing liability insurance prior to departure, It will cover damage to your property and lost or stolen items. Your family's homeowner's insurance or your rental insurance may also provide coverage for items such as laptops, phones and cameras.

Alcohol and Drugs Abroad

Students are most at risk when alcohol is a part of the situation. Be responsible. Understand the drinking culture of the nation you are visiting.

Educate yourself about local drug laws. No one can help you, including a U.S. embassy or consulate, if you are arrested with illegal drugs.