Veterans Resource Center

Federal Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is available to active duty service-members and drilling members of the National Guard and Reserve components. This program will pay up to $4,500 per fiscal year toward tuition expenses including some student fees. In some cases, this benefit can be used in conjunction with other veterans education benefits.

This program has a limited budget and is paid on a first come first serve basis, so it is important to apply early. This benefit is paid directly to the college. You are required to earn a “C” and maintain a 2.0 GPA or better in your classes. Failure to complete classes satisfactorily will require repayment of FTA funds by the soldier.

Application website for Army Active Duty, National Guard & Reserve: 


Current Application Process

 For current service members wanting to utilize Federal Tuition Assistance within Army IgniED, please complete the following steps in order to use FTA.  The FTA exception to policy used previously has ended and you will need to request FTA through Army IgnitED. 

  1. E-mail with your full name, student ID, name of courses you want to use FTA, and semester you intend to use federal tuition assistance.
  2. Create an account on Army Ignited.  You will need a working CAC card and username/password.  See attached documents on how to create your account.
  3. Once you have created your account on Army IgnitED, choose your degree/institution.
  4. Request Tuition Assistance on Army IgnitED.

Deadline to apply: Five days prior to start of classes.

For more information on FTA, visit:

For questions regarding benefit details, eligibility or application assistance please contact:


Veterans Resource Center

AS-100 Administrative Services Building

(320) 308-2185


Jason Wehry

Central Regional Coordinator, MDVA Higher Education Veterans Program

AS 100-E Administrative Services Building

Cell: (320) 493-8153

Resource Center (320) 308-2185


Connect With Us