Summer Sessions

Summer Financial Aid

Financial aid in the form of grants and loans is available for students taking summer classes and is based on summer term enrollment. A summer specific application is NOT required but students must have a completed financial aid file for the academic year and must also have registered for summer courses in order to receive a summer financial aid award notification. Summer is considered a trailing semester, meaning it is at the end of the financial aid year.

Award Notification:

The Financial Aid Office will begin awarding summer financial aid in early March. Once your award has been calculated, you will receive an email inviting you to review and respond to your award notification in e-Services. Watch this video for more information on reviewing and responding to your award notification.

Student Bill, Payment Options & Due Dates:

Summer session balance due dates and deadlines, payment plan options, how to make payments, etc. can be found on the Student Registration and Financial Services website.


Pell Grant: If you are eligible for Pell Grant, you have a certain amount available for the academic year. If you were enrolled in 12 or more credits for the fall and spring semester, then you likely won't have any Pell grant available for summer. If you were not enrolled full-time (see Financial Aid Enrollment Requirements) fall and spring, and have not reached your maximum Lifetime Eligibility Used, you may be eligible.

Minnesota Grant: if you have not exceeded the maximum eligibility and are enrolled at a qualifying enrollment level, you may be eligible.

MN GI Bill and MN Child Care Grant: funds are available; students must meet eligibility criteria.


Limited financial assistance is available in the summer if you have used your annual Direct Loan eligibility during the preceding spring and fall terms. You may be eligible for additional Direct Loan for the summer term if you changed grade levels between spring and summer semesters. In order to have Direct Loan eligibility in the summer you need to have:

PLUS and Private Loans require an approved credit check.


Check online job postings at Even though there is no work study funding or Graduate Assistantships in the summer, some departments hire through regular student salaries.

Books/Course Materials:

You may charge up to $1,000, including online purchases, at the Centennial Hall Husky Bookstore. To be eligible, you cannot have any holds on your student account. Questions about this service? Contact the Business Services Office or 320.308.4012.

**excludes writing instruments, desk accessories, mailing supplies, calculators, batteries, notebooks, binders and other paper products