Student Registration & Financial Services

Student Employment

Student employment has a wealth of benefits! It can help you gain personal and career development skills; prepare for the job market; give you practical work experience; and build relationships with faculty, staff and peers. You can also use your earnings to help pay your school expenses which can keep your debt load down.

Students who work a moderate number of hours (10-15 hours per week) tend to have better time management skills, are more likely to persist in their studies, are more satisfied with their college experience, and have higher GPAs.

St. Cloud State University (SCSU) employs over 2,000 students each year on-campus and in approved off-campus agencies/schools in areas such as tutoring, office assistants, computer labs/technology support, and facility maintenance.

The Student Employment Handbook (PDF) has important information about your employment with SCSU. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the University student employment policies and expectations, in addition to any that the department in which you’re working may have.

Types of Student Employment

Work study: A need-based funding source with limited funds awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) early (October) of each year. If you have work study, you have job possibilities both on-campus and in approved off-campus positions.

If you have work study as part of your financial aid package, you'll see “Work Study Eligibility” listed on your official award notification. Information on how to apply for jobs at Jobs for Huskies will be in your award notification. Your work award is the maximum potential earnings - it is not a grant or guaranteed amount; you must work the hours to earn the work award.

You must maintain minimum satisfactory academic progress requirements to be eligible for work study.

University student salaries: This is a non-need based funding source for on-campus positions. You do not need to complete the FAFSA, have financial need, or make satisfactory academic progress to be paid with University student salaries. Jobs will be posted on Jobs for Huskies.

Off-campus: You’ll find many off-campus jobs listed on Jobs for Huskies. These are jobs not paid through SCSU or any financial aid program nor does SCSU endorse the positions posted.

Graduate Assistantships: Available only to eligible graduate students, these are academically-related employment. You must be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies and be registered each term of the assistantship. International students and U.S. citizens and residents are eligible to apply. Fifth-year certificate, graduate certificate, and language admission students are not eligible.

Internships: Internships are a critical part of your educational experience and can be either academic or experiential. Academic internships integrate your classroom learning with practical application and skill development within a professional setting. A faculty advisor oversees an academic internship. Experiential internships are for you to gain employment experience; no credit is given so there is not faculty supervision. Check out more internship information on the Career Center website.

AmeriCorps: A national service program that provides education and work experience in specific areas of community service: mentoring at-risk youth, increasing volunteerism/service-learning, and disaster preparedness. Most AmeriCorps members receive student loan deferment, training, and may receive a living allowance and limited health benefit options. AmeriCorps opportunities in Minnesota are listed at ServeMinnesota.


Most students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) to work in the St. Cloud State student employment program (work study or student salaries). International students have different enrollment and eligibility requirements. See the section “International Student Employment.”

Priority hiring: Continuing students who worked at St. Cloud State (work study or student salaries) have priority hiring for the next academic year. Work awards for new first-year and transfer students are based on availability of funds and their FAFSA filing date, with early applicants who demonstrate financial need having the highest priority.

We recognize some students who may not have worked in the previous year or had work study on their financial aid award may be interested in working through the student employment program. By October 1st of each year, any unfilled positions are opened to all students. Students with financial need and who are interested in work study should contact the Financial Aid Office about their work study eligibility.

Search and Apply for Jobs

Positions are posted online at:

Jobs for Huskies

You will need to create your profile and upload a résumé before you can apply for positions. 

Tips to finding a job:

  • Read each job description (qualifications and duties) carefully to find positions that best match your interests, skills, abilities, and schedule.
  • Apply to multiple positions since the hiring process can be competitive.
  • Follow up with the hiring supervisor within one week if you haven’t heard back about your application status.
  • Seek assistance from the Career Center for résumé and interviewing help.
  • Use the How to Apply Student Guide

Begin Working and Getting Paid

Once you’re hired in a position (work study or student salaries), you will need to complete a few things before you can begin working.

  • Notification of Hiring (NOH) form to let the Financial Aid Office know where you’re working. Your hiring supervisor will have the NOH form and complete it with you. This requirement does not apply to Graduate Assistants or Community Advisors.
  • Work authorization is prepared by the Financial Aid Office and is based on information from your NOH form. The work authorization will be prepared starting in mid-July and continue on a rolling basis throughout the year as students are hired. Your work authorization lists the department, supervisor, pay rate, your maximum work award for the position, and employment dates. 
  • Payroll forms are completed with your supervisor (on-campus positions) or with the SCSU Business Services Office (off-campus community work study). New employees must complete required payroll forms (I-9 and W-4) within 3 days before they can begin working and be entered into the e-time reporting system.

All earnings are paid directly to you, the student. Many students opt to have their payroll earnings deposited directly into a checking or savings account of their choice. You can sign up for direct deposit online.

International Student Employment

International students are limited to working on-campus for no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session, and must be enrolled full-time. Some exceptions may apply for international students to work off-campus; contact the St. Cloud State Designated School Official with any questions about exceptions.

International students are not eligible for federal or state work study funds.

International students may work up to 40 hours per week during the summer and must be enrolled full-time for both the spring semester and the upcoming fall semester.

Summer Employment

U.S. citizens and resident alien students can work during summer provided they were enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) spring semester OR are already enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) for the upcoming fall semester. No summer enrollment is required. International students must be enrolled full-time for the spring semester and also be enrolled full-time for the upcoming fall semester.

Work study funds cannot be used for summer employment.