Business Advising Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my advisor?

Students who have Upper Division Status in the HBS are assigned to an individual faculty advisor. Students pursuing a business major who do not have Upper Division Status are assigned to the Business Advising Center. This means they can work with any available advisor in our office.

How do I change my major?

If you do not have Upper Division Status, you may change your major at

If you have Upper Division Status, you must contact the Business Advising Center to complete a "Switch Major" application.

Do I need to go to the University Advising Center for any reason?

Not if you are planning to major in business.

What is an access code?

If you are an undergraduate student and don’t have HBS upper division status, you must obtain a six-digit access code from your advisor before attempting to register. It is important to schedule advisor appointments at least two to three weeks prior to scheduled registration time. The access code is used only once each term.

What is a degree audit report?

A degree audit report is a computer program that provides progress-toward-degree information for students. A degree audit report shows all of the requirements needed to receive a degree, and which courses are used to satisfy those requirements.

Where do I obtain my degree audit report?

Reports are available for all students who have been admitted to St. Cloud State University and have selected a major. An interactive version of your report is available in e-services. Once logged in, click on "Grades and Transcripts" located in the menu on the left side of the screen. The degree audit link is located under the "Interactive Degree Audit Report" tab.

Where do I find more information regarding the English and Math placement testing?

You can obtain additional information from the Undergraduate Studies Placement Testing website.

What is the drop for non-payment?

Students shall have their registration canceled when payment is not arranged, as defined subsequently, by the established due date.

For more information, go to:

Which of my transfer courses will SCSU accept?

As a general rule, courses numbered 100 or higher (or 1000 or higher for colleges that use 4 digit course numbers) that earn a grade of C- or better will transfer from accredited colleges/universities. Grades of a D+ or lower may transfer if the student earns an Associate of Arts or Bachelor’s degree, completes the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum, or if the transfer course is part of the sending school’s MNTC.

The Office of Records and Registration determines the transferability of courses from other colleges/ universities and in most cases will give the transfer course a SCSU course number. Courses that are not transferred as an SCSU course must be approved by the individual department that offers that course. The student is responsible for obtaining this approval.  Keep in mind that not all courses need to have an equivalency at SCSU to transfer. However, if you feel that a course should be equivalent to an SCSU course, you would need to complete the Business Course Transfer Request form to determine its transferability.

How do I transfer in a business course to SCSU?

Once a student is admitted to SCSU, the initial evaluation of credits is performed by the Office of Records and Registration. Classes that transferred to SCSU, but do not transfer in as a specific course number are usually placed in the university electives.

If a student feels that a class placed in the university electives should be equivalent to a SCSU class, the student may request a transfer course review through the degree audit report in eServices.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Use the online GPA calculator for unofficial gpa information.

How can I get an "F" removed from my record?

An "F" will always show on your transcript; however, if you repeat a course in which you received an “F,” only the higher of the two grades will count in your GPA.

My GPA is 2.49 and HBS upper division status requires a 2.5 GPA. Can I still request status?

No. The absolute minimum GPA is 2.5. This requirement cannot be waived.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA to remain a SCSU student?

Yes. As an undergraduate student you must have the following minimum cumulative GPA based on credits earned, including developmental courses, attempted at SCSU. Cumulative credits in the various ranges include transfer credits accepted by SCSU:

  • 0-44 credits: 1.75 GPA
  • 45 or more credits: 2.00 GPA

What are the consequences to withdrawing or failing a class?

Students must maintain a 66.67% cumulative percentage of credits completed (CCR). This means a student must pass two-thirds of all credits attempted at SCSU and credits accepted as transfer, including credits in developmental courses, to remain in good academic standing. The following scenarios will lower a student’s CCR: withdraw (W), fail (F, FN, FW, U), incomplete (I), and repeating a course in which credit was already earned. A completion rate calculator is available for unofficial completion rate information.

What happens if my cumulative GPA or completion rate falls below the minimum?

Students whose cumulative GPA and/or completion rate falls below the minimum at the completion of any semester will be placed on academic warning for the next semester of enrollment. Failure to improve during the warning semester will lead to academic suspension. A description of the probationary terms can be found on the University College website. Students on academic warning are required to meet with an advisor to discuss the terms of the probation.

How do I get an override to enroll in an upper business core class before I have HBS upper division status?

Overrides are given by business advisors if a student cannot complete a 15 credit schedule with their remaining liberal education and lower business core courses. Students need to have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and have the Group 1 Lower Business Core complete to receive upper division overrides. You should contact a business advisor for more information.

Can faculty let me into their classes if they are already full?

No. In the Herberger Business School, it is up to the department to grant a full-course override. Individual instructors do not have that authority.

I want to obtain two business majors, is that possible?

Yes. If you plan to graduate with two business majors, you must earn at least 24 different credits in each major. Thus, there is a limit as to the number of courses that can be double-counted between majors. Also, some major combinations may not be possible.

Can I double count a business core course if it also used in my major?

No. If you take a course that counts in your major and is also a business core course, you may use the course in only one area. Double counting a class between the business core and major is not allowed.