Educational Administration and Leadership (Specialist)

Requirements and Details


To apply follow the direction online application instructions in addition to following these program-specific guidelines.

You can begin the post-master's graduate certificate fall, spring, or summer semester through a rolling admissions process.

Minnesota Administrative Licensure Requirements

Currently the state of Minnesota requires that applicants for administrative licensure have at least three years teaching experience or be eligible to apply for alternative licensure.

Licensure requires a Master’s of Science in Educational Leadership/Administration plus 30 semester credits, obtainable through the sixth-year graduate certificate licensure tracks or the specialist degree program. A final portfolio assessment is also required of licensure candidates.

More information is available at the Board of School Administrators.


When applying for a post-master's graduate certificate, the School of Graduate Studies serves as a liaison between the applicant and the post-master's graduate certificate. Application materials are completed online and processed by the School of Graduate Studies.

Once all application materials are received, Graduate Studies will forward materials to the post-master's graduate certificate area for review. Thereafter, an admission recommendation will be forwarded to Graduate Studies for a final decision and notification to the applicant.

Application Instructions

For all students:

  • Apply for admission to graduate study
  • Application and application fee
  • Statement of Intent
    • Include the licensure specialization(s) you seek
  • Resume/curriculum vitae
  • Unofficial transcripts

For international students:

Program Admission Requirements

For admission consideration, Ed.D. applicants must meet minimum Graduate Studies admission requirements, plus the program requirements below: 

  • Post-master graduate certificate applicants or specialist applicants will complete a graduate admission application and submit the application fee for the first licensure track pursued.

Non-Degree Seeking Student

If you would like to take courses without pursuing a degree or would like to begin coursework before you are formally accepted to St. Cloud State, you can register as a Non-Degree Seeking Student

Once you have registered as a Non-Degree Seeking Student, you can activate your StarID. Your StarID allows you to access to the university’s Online Services. 



Connect with SCSU