As a graduate applicant you are admitted based on the strength of your application materials.
Grade Point Average (GPA) Standards for Master-level programsAn applicant must meet ONE of the following Grade Point Average (GPA) standards to be eligible for academic admission consideration to the School of Graduate Studies:
- Possess at least an overall 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale) in your previous undergraduate work.
- Possess at least an overall 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale) in the last half of your undergraduate work.
An applicant with graduate coursework must meet one of the above requirements plus possess at least an overall 3.0 GPA (4.0 scale) in his/her graduate course work.
Grade Point Average (GPA) Standards for Post-Master & Doctoral-level programs
An applicant must meet the following Grade Point Average (GPA) standard to be eligible for academic admission consdieration to the School of Graduate Studies:
- Possess at least an overall 3.0 GPA (4.0 scale) in your graduate course work.
Program Specific Criteria
An applicant must additionally meet specific program criteria to be eligible for admission consideration. Visit your program description for detailed requirements.
GRE or GMAT
Some master and doctoral degree programs require the GRE or GMAT. Graduate certificate programs do not require the GRE.
Degree Requirements for Master-level, Post-Master & Doctoral-level Education
- You must have earned and have a transcripted undergraduate degree before you begin master-level coursework and a transcripted graduate degree before you begin post-master or doctoral-level coursework.
- If you earned your degree in the USA your degree must have been received from an institution that is accredited by a US regional accreditation body. There are six regional accreditation bodies:
- If you earned your degree in Canada your degree must have been received from an institution that has received a provincial charter to grant degrees. Generally these Canadian institutions are also members of AUCC.
- If you attended an institution outside of North America, your degree must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the country in which it was earned.
- Additionally, your undergraduate degree must be accepted by SCSU as the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree and a graduate degree must be accepted by SCSU as the equivalent of a US graduate degree if you seek a post-master or doctoral program.
- A determination is made when your international transcripts are reviewed by a transcript evaluation agency.
Beyond unconditional admission, St. Cloud State University also grants provisional and conditional admissions status. International applicants may qualify for a language admission. A conditional language admission opportunity is reserved for international applicants with government sponsorship from countries such as Saudi Arabia, Oman, Jordan, Brazil, Iraq and Korea.
Students that are planning to take a leave of absence or that are returning to St. Cloud State University after a leave of absence from graduate work may require readmission.