Graduate Admissions

GRE Information

The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test is a requirement of some graduate and doctoral programs.

  • Visit specific program web sites for details.
  • Graduate certificate programs and licensure tracks do NOT require the GRE.
  • SCSU GRE Code: 6679

The majority of programs that require the GRE seek the following minimum scores be met:

  • Verbal 152
  • Quantitative 144
  • Writing 3 (Recommended but not required)

Other Information

  • The School of Graduate Studies will accept expired GRE scores.
  • Applicants who hold an advanced degree from an accredited graduate institution may be able to have the entrance examination requirement waived.
  • The substitution of any graduate entrance examination for the GRE is subject to the approval of the director of graduate admissions and department. 
  • Some Graduate programs require official GRE scores before they will review your application. Please go to our Required Application Materials by Program page to view the requirements of your program.  

Taking the GRE

SCSU has a Testing Center located on the SCSU campus in Atwood Memorial Center. The Testing Center administers the GRE & GMAT examinations. A student may schedule a date to take the computerized examinations. Telephone: 320.308.5456 or E-mail:

For other GRE locations and available dates in the United States and abroad:
For general inquiries, reporting test problems, scores, etc:
P.O. Box 6000
Princeton, NJ 08541-6000
Phone: 1-609-771-7670
Toll-free: 1-866-473-4373 for calls from the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada
Fax: 1-610-290-8975

GRE Fee Reduction

ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers on a first-come, first-served basis to U.S. citizens or resident aliens who are college seniors or unenrolled college graduates who meet eligibility requirements and are planning to take a GRE test in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands.

College seniors must be:

·         receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and

·         a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or

·         self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year

Unenrolled college graduates must:

·         have applied for financial aid, and

·         have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000

To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher, complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request form (PDF) and follow the instructions on the form regarding the submission of materials to ETS. Voucher numbers are sent to recipients via email within two weeks of ETS approval of the request.

More information: