Financial Aid Office

Satisfactory Academic Progress FAQs

Can I still receive financial aid on financial aid warning?

Yes, if you are otherwise eligible, you may receive aid for the semester you are on financial aid warning.

Why am I not making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) when I have no failing grades?

Federal regulations require that the SAP review include all credit hours a student has attempted, including repeated, incomplete, in progress or withdrawn courses as reflected on your academic record. Although withdrawing from a class may help your GPA, a “W” is still considered a course that was attempted, but not completed, for determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress.

I was granted an academic administrative appeal, do I have to appeal my financial aid suspension?

Yes, you will still need to appeal your financial aid.

Financial Aid Appeal Form

Is there a deadline to submit a SAP appeal?

Yes, please see SAP appeal deadlines. Students who are not meeting SAP and do not meet the stated deadline will not have their financial aid SAP appeal considered for the current term. These students may appeal for the next term.

Why was my appeal only granted for one semester? 

Federal regulations stipulate that we grant your appeal one semester at a time. You must fulfill the terms of an academic plan to continue receiving financial aid.

What financial aid is affected by financial aid suspension?

Students on financial aid suspension are ineligible for the following aid programs administered through our office: Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), TEACH Grant, MN State Grant, MN Future Together Grant, Work-Study Employment, Subsidized Direct Loan, Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), MN Post-Secondary Child Care Grant, MN GI Bill, MN Indian Scholarship, MN Fostering Independence Higher Education Grant, MN Aspiring Teachers of Color, MN Teacher Candidate Grant, Alliss Scholarship, and Philip Halenbeck Scholarship.

If I decide not to appeal my SAP status or if my appeal is denied, how can I pay my bill?

Some lenders offer private loans that do not require you to meet SAP standards. However, you may need a creditworthy cosigner to qualify. You may want to consider loans listed at FASTChoice. Once you get to this page, select “Loan Options for Students Not Meeting SAP”.

Connect with SCSU