These English proficiency options are accepted for international undergraduate applicants for admission only. Test reports must be less than two years old. To be exempt from English Placement upon arrival, please see exemptions.
- Students taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required to meet ONE of the following options:
- Meet the score of 61 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT). Subscores must be 15 or higher for reading, writing, and listening. Official score report sent directly from ETS required OR
- Meet the 500 standard on International (paper) Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Official score report sent directly from ETS required.
- 5.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Email a copy to world2SCSU@stcloudstate.edu. IELTS Indicator score are also accepted until further notice (5.5 or higher overall), scores can also be emailed to email@example.com
- 56 on Michigan English Test (MET) with cover letter from testing institution (for Universities with an English as a Second Language program or Intensive English Language Institutes only).
- 44 on Pearson PTE Academic test. Only scores accessed via the Score Report Website are considered to be valid.
- SAT reading score of 20 or higher or SAT evidence-based reading and writing (ERW) score of 370 or higher. Official score report sent directly from testing center required.
- ACT English score of 11 or higher. Official score report sent directly from testing center required.
- Duolingo English exam score 90 or higher (45 or higher prior to July 15, 2019). Official score report comes into St. Cloud State dashboard from Duolingo.
- Completing the ELS Level 112 Certificate.
- Successful graduation from an English-medium high school or University with a 2.5 (cumulative equivalent) GPA or higher. An original letter from the school principal/headmaster/rector on school letterhead must be submitted as part of the application. The letter must state that English is the medium of instruction and attest to the applicant's English language abilities.
- IGCSE/Ordinary Levels (British exam with official grade reports from Cambridge, EduExcel, Pearsons, etc) with grades of C or above in subjects of at least English, Math, a hard Science, a Social Science, and another subject of your choice.
- Successful graduation from a U. S. high school located in the United States of America.
- Transferring from a U.S. college or university with 12 credits of university-level work (remedial courses and ESL do not count toward the 12 credits) or more at a 2.5 (cumulative equivalent) GPA or higher.
- Successful completion of the Intensive English Center at St. Cloud State with a letter from the IEC Director confirming the student is ready for college-level academic work.