Educational Administration and Leadership (M.S.)

Requirements and Details


Complete admission program requirements are found in the University Catalog.

The master's degree can be pursued by applicants who do not hold teaching licensure.  Alternative licensure requirements are available for students without three years of teaching experience.

You can begin the program fall, spring, or summer semester.

Minnesota Administrative Licensure Requirements

Currently the state of Minnesota requires that applicants for administrative licensure have at least three years teaching experience or be eligible to apply for alternative licensure.

Licensure requires a Master’s of Science in Educational Leadership/Administration plus 30 semester credits, obtainable through the sixth-year graduate certificate licensure tracks or the specialist degree program. A final portfolio assessment is also required of licensure candidates.

More information is available at the Board of School Administrators


When applying for a master's program, the School of Graduate Studies serves as a liaison between the applicant and the master's program. Application materials are completed online and processed by the School of Graduate Studies.

Once all application materials are received, Graduate Studies will forward materials to the master's program for review. Thereafter, an admission recommendation will be forwarded to Graduate Studies for a final decision and notification to the applicant.

Application Instructions

For all students:

For international students:

Program Admission Requirements

For admission consideration, Ed.D. applicants must meet minimum Graduate Studies admission requirements, plus the program requirements below: 

  • Undergraduate GPA is closely reviewed. A large emphasis is placed on scholarship within the undergraduate education core.
  • Admission decisions are made throughout the year as completed application files are received. Students may be admitted for fall, spring and summer terms. 

Non-Degree Seeking Student

If you would like to take courses without pursuing a degree or would like to begin coursework before you are formally accepted to St. Cloud State, you can register as a Non-Degree Seeking Student

Once you have registered as a Non-Degree Seeking Student, you can activate your StarID. Your StarID allows you to access to the university’s Online Services. 

Connect with SCSU