Students majoring in chemistry embark on a path leading to achievements in medicine, agriculture, health and technology. You will be mentored, engage in research and collaborate with faculty distinguished in research on diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, materials science, medical devices, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory agents. You will gain the hands-on experience on modern analytical instruments and in computational methods needed to substantiate scientific discoveries. You will supplement classroom learning with on-the-job experience in government agencies, corporations and research laboratories.
- Hands-on experience through student–faculty research collaboration in analytical, physical, organic, inorganic, biochemistry, materials science and other interdisciplinary fields.
- Faculty members with diverse cultural background and experience
- Access to modern analytical, surface and chemical structure characterization and spectroscopic instruments for classroom and research.
- Student research colloquium showcases student work and achievement.
- Senior-year capstone experience involving student-faculty collaborative research and a senior thesis with oral and written presentations.
- Professional development opportunities such as competitive student research awards and presentations at regional and national symposiums and conferences.
- Department alums share post-graduate research in department seminars
- Active Chemistry Club offers social and professional networking and community outreach.
- Select classes are available online.
- Program approved by American Chemical Society (ACS).
- New laboratories and classrooms under development in the $45 million Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF).
- National Science Foundation grants help provide a full range of modern instrumentation to support coursework and research.
- International studies work done by faculty members in Nepal, Qatar and India, brings global perspective to the study of chemistry.
University Facts & Stats
- 95% of chemistry graduates employed
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1 of 56 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award winners
- 25 years of residential math-science-computer camps for youth
- Laboratory Technician
- Chemical Technician
- Pharmaceutical Research
- Product Development
- Chemical Engineer
- Environmental Health