Students who pursue a minor in athletic coaching will find it a useful achievement, especially when combined with another degree or educational emphasis such as teaching, nonprofit management or recreational program development. While Minnesota no longer requires teacher licensing for employment as a head coach, you'll find that the courses and hands-on experience on the field required for the minor provide unique insight into motivation, competition, training and conditioning, body mechanics and team leadership.
- Coaching practicum provides opportunity to volunteer as coach in local schools and community organizations.
- Student organizations provide opportunities for networking and leadership skill development and experience.
- Internationally distinguished Human Performance Lab equipped for primary and advanced study.
- Campus-based intramural sports and intercollegiate competition in club sports such as rugby, crew, lacrosse and cycling.
- Student work centered in Halenbeck Hall, a facility that accommodates instruction, research, athletics and general student recreation activities.
- Full- and part-time faculty active in publishing, research, conferences, service, and professional leadership at local, national, and international levels.
- Notable alumna:Bonnie Henrickson '86 is women's basketball coach at the University of Kansas and has taken the Jayhawks to the postseason seven times.
- Physical Education Club
- Sports Management Club
- Cheer Team
- Student Athletic Training Association
- SCSU Officials Club
University Facts & Stats
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- NCAA Division I men's and women's hockey teams
- 19 teams compete in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC)
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Athletic Training
- Community Health
- Physical Education
- Elementary Education
- Recreation and Sports Management