Rhetoric and Writing (M.A.)
Pursuing a master's degree in rhetoric and writing will help you develop strong reading, writing and critical thinking skills as you prepare for a career in teaching, writing, communication or editing, or for further study at the doctoral level.
You will be exposed to the wide-ranging field of rhetoric and writing in courses taht explore rhetoric, composition, new media studies and pedagogy.
- Small seminar-style classes allow for informed discussions about literature and close mentoring relationships with faculty.
- Tuition costs less than $14,000 for Minnesota and reciprocity students.
- Program offers flexible scheduling with courses offered day or evening and during summer.
- Up to 30 assistantships available teaching first-year composition and consulting at the writing center, providing students with a stipend and tuition remission.
- Student-faculty contact extends beyond the classroom with an emphasis on advising final research projects.
- Successful placement of graduates into Ph.D. programs.
- Students regularly attend and present at professional conferences.
- Students can participate in the publication of the English department's Upper Mississippi Harvest, an annual literary and art magazine or Kaleidoscope, a multicultural literary arts magazine.
|Fall||July 15||June 15||July 15|
|Spring||November 15||October 15||November 15|
Graduate DirectorDr. Monica Pelaez
- Writing center consultant
- Technical writer
- Grant writer
University Facts & Stats
- 60 graduate programs leading to graduate certificates, master’s and doctoral degrees
- More than 200 graduate assistantships awarded per year
- Graduate assistants receive up to a $9,250 stipend per year and tuition reimbursement for up to eight graduate credits per semester.