English Proficiency Requirements
An English proficiency test is required of international applicants whose native language is not English. There are two exemptions:
- Applicants who will hold a baccalaureate or graduate degree from a university in the United States, Canada or from a country whose sole official language is English, will be exempt.
- International students who have completed SCSU's Intensive English Center Level 5 program will be exempt.
For all other international applicants, SCSU requires that one of the following language admission requirements be met:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 or higher on the Internet-based exam with no subscore below 17, or a score of 550 or higher on the paper-based exam.
- (Already in Minnesota? TOEFL examinations are offered at the St. Cloud State Testing Center.)
- A score of 6.5 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- A score of 57 or higher on the Pearson Test of English (pilot project.)
Some international students may be required to take an additional English placement test during orientation. To see if this need applies to you, please visit this link.