Statisticians use data to solve problems in a wide variety of fields, including business, government, healthcare and the environment. Statisticians often work collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary team to tackle social, economic, medical, political or ecological problems. They may search for clues to the solution of a scientific mystery or help companies do their business more efficiently. As the world is awash in more and more data, statisticians are in ever increasing demand.
- Bachelor of science degree offers three concentrations to choose from:
- Students may also obtain an undergraduate certificate in Actuarial Science.
- Small class sizes that allow for individual instruction.
- Pairs well with a minor or double major in many fields of application.
- Faculty members with deep expertise on statistical topics provide classroom experiences.
- This discipline is also available as a minor to complement another major.
- Opportunities to work on data teams analyzing real-world data for central Minnesota institutions
- Newly revised curriculum guided by the American Statistical Association
- Opportunities to be a Learning Assistant or Tutor to assist faculty in an instructional setting
- Applied Statistician
- Data/Decision Analyst
- Market Researcher
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
University Facts & Stats
- One of the fastest-growing careers nationwide
- 1,100+ mathematics, statistics and computer science scholarships awarded since 1974
- Among Forbes' "America's Top Colleges"
Connect With Us
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
College of Science and Engineering