Students in the economics major will develop the analytical skills to understand private, nonprofit and government influences in order to help them improve society. You will study changes in global economics in the last 40 years and their impact on the economic future, along with learning how to achieve financial, social, and environmental objectives that serve the public interest. As an economics major, you will be a sought-after candidate for law schools, master of business administration (MBA) programs and doctorate (Ph.D.) programs in economics.
- Small class sizes.
- Twelve full-time faculty members with doctorates, a passion for economics, and diverse teaching and research experience.
- High earning potential outpacing business and other liberal arts graduates due to high demand for economics skills in the workplace.
- Paid internship opportunities with brokerage firms, banks, government agencies, manufacturing and marketing firms.
- Select classes are available online.
- Available as a minor to complement other majors.
- An annual Winter Institute gathers the best minds on economic issues and draws an audience from across the Midwest. It has hosted such notables as former Federal Reserve Chairman Benjamin Bernanke and Nobel Prize in Economics recipient James Heckman.
- Home of the Center for Economic Education, which aids in the preparation of the "St. Cloud Quarterly Business Report," a quarterly data release which profiles the St. Cloud and Central Minnesota economies.
- Notable alumnus: James Bullard '84 is president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Credit analyst
- Data analyst
- Economic forecasting
- Financial planner
- Loan officer
- Policy advisor
- Risk management consultant
University Facts & Stats
- 94% of economics graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 31% increase in Honors Program enrollment in fall 2013
- A 2021 Military Friendly® Top 10 School designation
- Among Forbes' "America's Top Colleges"
Connect With Us
School of Public Affairs (facebook)
School of Public Affairs (linkedin)
School of Public Affairs (youtube)
School of Public Affairs (instagram)