A formal application is required for admission to the major. Admission to the nursing major is highly competitive.
- June 1, 2022 for fall semester 2022 start
- Sep. 15, 2022 for spring 2023 start
- Jan. 25, 2023 for fall semester 2023 start
At the time of application you must meet the following requirements in order to be considered for the nursing program (eligibility does not assure admission):
- Accepted to St. Cloud State as an undergraduate student.
- Active HuskyNet E-mail by the application date.
- “C” or better in all pre-admission courses.
- Students may only be enrolled in BIO 206 and any other liberal education courses at time of application.
- A minimum cumulative St. Cloud State GPA of 2.75 (based on a 4.0 scale).
- A minimum cumulative preadmission coursework GPA of 2.75 (based on a 4.0 scale).
- Minimum TOEFL score of 500 paper, 173 computer or 61 online required.*Applies to International Students ONLY.
- Submit application with unofficial academic record/transcripts, degree audit report and two reference forms; one academic and one professional by the application deadline.
Step 1-Submit a formal application
Apply to Nursing Major
Students are required to complete an application form, include two references, an unofficial transcript from attended universities, and an up-to-date DARS report while meeting all the application requirements. Applicants can apply no more than two times to the program without successful admission.
Step 2-HESI Entrance Exam
If a student meets the application requirements above, with successful submission of their application form, along with references, unofficial transcripts and DARS, they will be granted the opportunity to take the HESI exam. Applicants will be notified regarding HESI testing dates after the application deadline.
Step 3-Final Application Review
Final review of applicants takes place. Students are offered admission based on an objective, points-based process. Applicants are eligible to earn up to 110 points in the following areas:
- Pre-admission GPA: 35/110 points
- Cumulative SCSU GPA: 10/110 points*
- HESI Entrance Exam Scores: 60/110 points
- References: 5/110 points
*Applicants who have NOT earned 12 credits at St. Cloud State prior to submitting an application will not be eligible for cumulative GPA points.
*Applicants who are applying with a previous BA/BS degree will earn cumulative GPA points based off of the cumulative GPA from the BA/BS degree-granting institution.
Health Education Systems Incorporated (HESI) Entrance Exam for Nursing
Students who have submitted an application and meet the minimum requirements above are eligible to take the HESI Entrance Exam.
Generally, students who are applying for a fall start date will take the HESI exam in February/March, for students who are applying for a spring start date, the HESI will be taken in September/October.
The HESI is a computerized, five-hour entrance exam covering the following areas:
- Anatomy and Physiology: Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems. (30 items)
- Grammar: Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, commonly occurring grammatical error, etc. (55 items)
- Reading Comprehension: Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning in words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. (55 items)
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: Contains vocabulary terms that are used commonly in both general English speaking and in healthcare fields. (55 items)
- Math: Focuses on math skills needed for healthcare fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc. (55 items)
Applicants pay $45 to take the HESI.
The official study guide for the HESI is the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Manual, 5th Edition. The manual is available for purchase at the Husky Bookstore and other retail outlets. There is also a HESI A2 app available for purchase for your electronic device.
Applicants will NOT be tested on Chemistry, Physics and Biology. There is no need to study those portions of the manual.
Upon admission students will be required to:
- Adhere to all the policies and procedures of the Nursing Student Handbook.
- Complete all pre-admission coursework before the major’s January or August start date.
- Successfully complete a Minnesota Criminal Background Check, as required by Minnesota state law for professionals working with vulnerable populations.
- Obtain American Heart Associate CPR certification at health care provider level for infants through adults, and to meet other health requirements.
- Pass a drug and alcohol screen.
- Complete a health screening at the Medical Clinic, which includes physical demand analysis, immunization history, TB test and other requirements.