Choosing the liberal arts major in music, you will find a diverse experience that promotes individual creativity, personal discovery, unlimited opportunity and vibrant collaboration. Choosing a Bachelor of Arts in music allows you to add a second major, or to pursue minors or concentrations. You also can design an individualized educational experience that develops your passions: go to graduate school for music therapy (music + psychology); work in the music industry (music + business); or work in the nonprofit sector (music + art).
- Bachelor of Arts degree offered in composition
- Performance opportunities include Chamber Orchestra, New Music Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Campus Band, Sports Band, Jazz Band, Concert Choir, Women's Choir, Men's Choir, Chamber Choir, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Ensemble and World Drumming Group.
- Additional performing experiences possible through community partnerships with St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, Great River Chorale, Minnesota Center Chorale, St. Cloud Municipal Band, Great River Jazz Collective, GREAT Theatre and Pioneer Place Theater.
- State-of-the-art Music Technology Lab prepares students for the future of teaching, creating and performing music.
- Music Preparatory Program provides music students opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience and build a stronger resume.
- Annual department festivals attract hundreds of high school band, choir and percussion students to campus.
- Department conferences attract hundreds of professional composers and electro-acoustic musicians to campus and have included the 2014 MN Made musical robotics festival, 2012 Kyma International Sound Symposium and the 2010 Society for Electro-Acoustic Music international conference.
- Accreditation by National Association of Schools of Music.
- Music graduates have been accepted into nationally recognized graduate programs including the University of Minnesota, Manhattan School of Music, Cleveland State, Oberlin Conservatory, Indiana University, University of Illinois, University of Oregon and SUNY New York.
- Music graduates have won positions in prestigious performing groups including the Toledo Symphony, Eastman Opera Theater, San Francisco Opera, Utah Opera, United States Army Field Band, Walt Disney World, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Buffalo Philharmonic and the Cleveland Orchestra.
- Trio Lorca, a university ensemble of voice, flute and percussion, performed as part of the Distinguished Concerts Artists Series at Carnegie Hall in March 2012.
- Bruce Pearson, SCSU Distinguished Alumni and Honorary Doctorate, is the author of the award-winning Standards of Excellence Comprehensive Band Method, a series of books used in band programs around the world.
- Music Therapist
- Concert Management
- Non-profit Music Executive
- Music Industry
- Instrument Repair/Piano Technician
University Facts & Stats
- $50,000 in music scholarships awarded annually
- 1 million hours of campus, community volunteer service
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1 of 17 schools in the Centre for Medieval & Renaissance Studies Consortium, Oxford, England
- 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization
Connect With Us
Department of Music (facebook)
Husky Sports Band (facebook)
Department of Music (youtube)
Husky Sports Band (youtube)