As a mathematics teaching major you will learn how to share the beauty, elegance and order found in mathematics with all students. You will obtain solid backgrounds in education principles and mathematics content and will be provided with diverse, authentic and relevant teaching opportunities. You will acquire the skills to structure an effective mathematics classroom and create and teach lessons that will engage and inspire your students.
- Small class sizes allow for individual instruction.
- Five faculty members with advanced degrees in mathematics education; more than two dozen other faculty members with broad mathematical expertise.
- University support (through the Teacher Preparation Initiative) during the first three years of classroom teaching.
- This discipline is also available as a Middle School Mathematics minor to complement other majors.
- Program approved by the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB).
- Membership in Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP).
- Curriculum guided by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- K-12 Teacher
- Curriculum Developer
- Standardized Test Writer
- Curriculum Specialist
- Instructional Coordinator
- Tutor/Private Instructor
- Graduate Courses in Mathematics and Mathematics Education
University Facts & Stats
- More than 1,100 mathematics, statistics and computer science scholarships totaling more than $420,000 awarded since 1974
- Peer and professional tutoring opportunities available through the department and the Math Skills Center
- Opportunities to be a Learning Assistant to assist faculty in an instructional setting
- Engaged faculty serving as authors for, and editors of, journals and books, conducting workshops at meetings of professional organizations, volunteering in schools, authoring mathematics competition exams and writing grants designed to improve teaching and learning of mathematics
- Host of annual St. Cloud State Math Contest for Minnesota 7th – 12th graders since 1968
Connect With Us
College of Science and Engineering
Department of Mathematics