Students who choose linguistics as their emphasis will learn to understand the inner workings of language. Your classes and assignments will give you a greater understanding of the crucial role language plays in society, in education, in economics, in politics and in the design of speech analysis and processing systems.
Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) minor students frequently take this program simultaneously.
- Linguistics is one of a rich range of major and minor degree options that include creative writing, rhetorical and writing, communication arts and literature and English studies.
- Active faculty engaged in research, editing, publishing and service on state, regional and national boards and committees.
- Education Abroad opportunities in Chile, England, Spain, Costa Rica, Australia, Japan, Korea and South Africa.
- Strong collaborations with colleagues in other departments that encourage cross-disciplinary experiences and perspectives for students.
- Internships encouraged in any professional, language-rich, challenging environment.
- This discipline is also available as a minor to complement another major.
- Linguistic Portfolios showcases the best of student research in all core areas of linguistics. Articles are published at the recommendation of the faculty who taught the course for which the research was originally conducted.
- Intensive English Center (IEC) offers English language instruction for international students for whom English is another language. Linguistics majors can volunteer as tutors for this program, gaining valuable hands-on experience in interacting with people from across the globe.
- Writer/Technical Writer
- Public relations
University Facts & Stats
- 93% of English graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- A 2021 Military Friendly® Top 10 School designation
- 90+ nations represented on campus
- $4.8 million HD TV broadcasting renovation
- Among Forbes' "America's Top Colleges"
Connect With Us
Creative Writing Program
The Write Place
The Write Place