The Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) minor with the undergraduate secondary education sequence leads to a K-12 ESL Licensure in Minnesota. You'll be encouraged to choose Education Abroad programs to give you a global perspective on language and culture. Campus and community organizations and volunteer opportunities will give you a chance to practice what you learn in classes and internships.
- Cross-disciplinary work encouraged through second majors or minor degrees.
- Campus organizations and classwork encourage development of multicultural and international perspective.
- Summer camp for English language learners provides opportunities for practical experience in teaching and leadership.
- Use of skills learned in English coursework is encouraged in internships and volunteer opportunities.
- TESL and Linguistics programs highly rated in external reviews and accrediting agencies.
- Licensure approved by the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board.
- Intensive English Center established in 1997.
- The Write Place provides individualized help in writing while respecting a writer's authority and ownership of their work.
- Notable alumna: Brienda Cediel '20 founded Hands Across the World in 2003 and for 17 years this NGO in St. Cloud has provided English instruction for the whole family from pre-school through adult education.
- Adult Education Teacher
- Community and Technical College Teacher
- Intensive English Teacher
- Elementary/Secondary Teacher
- English Teacher in International Schools, English Institutes
University Facts & Stats
- 93% of English graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 90+ nations represented on campus
- $4.8 million HD TV broadcasting renovation
Connect With Us
Creative Writing Program
The Write Place
The Write Place