The Geographic Information Science program will prepare you for a career focusing on the physical, biological and human environment while receiving high-quality instruction in geospatial technologies, image processing and cartography. You will experience state-of-the-art technologies as you prepare for an emphasis in physical/environmental geography or urban/regional issues. Your studies will emphasize field work, including potential research overseas in Russia.
- Two graduate assistantship positions sponsored each year.
- Small class sizes with professors dedicated to one-on-one mentoring.
- Classroom leadership opportunities.
- State-of-the-art GIS lab.
- Close to 100 percent professional employment for graduates, others have been accepted into Ph.D. programs.
- Students have won awards at the Association of American Geographers national meetings.
- Graduates work in many federal, state and local agencies and in the private sector including: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Minnesota Department of Military Affairs, City of Minneapolis, Target, Starbucks, Xcel Energy, ESRI, National Resource Group LLC, GeoComm, North Point Geographic Solutions and more.
- Faculty research interests encompass historical, cultural, economic, physical and environmental geography as well as the geographic techniques LIDAR, precision surveying, geovisualization, multivariate statistics, phytolith analysis and more.
- GIS consultant
- System analyst
- GIS/Internet mapping
- GIS specialist
Connect With Us
School of Graduate Studies (facebook)
St. Cloud State University (twitter)
School of Public Affairs (instagram)