Students who choose a Bachelor of Science in music education dream of sharing the joy of music with young people in the schools. You'll find our music education program combines the expertise of an established music department and a professional education program with a long history of success. You'll work alongside professors who are professional musicians with teaching experience at all levels of music education. You'll have multiple opportunities to practice your skills in the classroom, and you'll be paired with master teachers through the teacher preparation program. You'll work in modern practice and performance facilities, and Education Abroad opportunities provide experiences that will globalize your musical view.
- Bachelor of Science degrees offered in:
- Performance opportunities include Chamber Orchestra, New Music Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Campus Band, Sports Band, Jazz Band, Concert Choir, Women's Choir, Men's Choir, Chamber Choir, Percussion Ensemble, Brass Ensemble and World Drumming Group.
- Additional performing experiences possible through community partnerships with St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, Great River Chorale, Minnesota Center Chorale, St. Cloud Municipal Band, Great River Jazz Collective, GREAT Theatre and Pioneer Place Theater.
- State-of-the-art Music Technology Lab prepares students for the future of teaching, creating and performing music.
- Music Preparatory Program provides music students an opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience and build a stronger resume.
- Annual department festivals attract hundreds of high school band, choir and percussion students to campus.
- Department conferences attract hundreds of professional composers and electro-acoustic musicians to campus and have included the 2014 MN Made musical robotics festival, 2012 Kyma International Sound Symposium and the 2010 Society for Electro-Acoustic Music international conference.
- Accreditation by National Association of Schools of Music.
- 95 percent of Music Education graduates are immediately employed in schools throughout Minnesota and the Upper Midwest. Alumni teach in many of Minnesota's strongest programs.
- Music graduates have been accepted into nationally recognized graduate programs including the University of Minnesota, Manhattan School of Music, Cleveland State, Oberlin Conservatory, Indiana University, University of Illinois, University of Oregon and SUNY New York.
- Music graduates have won positions in prestigious performing groups including the Toledo Symphony, Eastman Opera Theater, San Francisco Opera, Utah Opera, United States Army Field Band, Walt Disney World, Glenn Miller Orchestra, Buffalo Philharmonic and the Cleveland Orchestra.
- Bruce Pearson, SCSU Distinguished Alumni and Honorary Doctorate, is the author of the award-winning Standards of Excellence Comprehensive Band Method, a series of books used in band programs around the world.
University Facts & Stats
- 100% of music education graduates employed
- $50,000 in music scholarships awarded annually
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Elementary General Music Teacher
- Band, Choir, Orchestra Director
- Private Lessons Teacher
- Marching Band Specialist
- Drum Line/Color Guard Specialist
- Music Education District Supervisor