Students who choose the gender and women's studies program will find themselves making connections across campus, across disciplines and across the world. Your classes, community service work and internships will give you a deep understanding of women and all genders as a diverse group with a variety of histories, experiences and needs. You'll learn how race, class, sexuality and national identity have shaped gender. Your studies will build critical thinking and analysis skills that will serve you as you design a degree in your area of interest from the numerous elective choices.
- Courses build self-awareness and insight to recognize institutionalized forms of discrimination against women and other marginalized groups.
- Bachelor of Arts degree that's useful for students in education, social work, public service, business, psychology, sociology, English, art and communication studies or in pre-professional programs such as law or medicine.
- Minor that's ideal for those who want to understand how to work with diverse populations.
- Internship and volunteer opportunities encouraged in local nonprofits including the Central Minnesota Sexual Assault Center, Anna Marie's Alliance and the Boys and Girls Club.
- Opportunity to use organization, programming and collaboration techniques in on-campus and community service projects that build leadership skills and help.
- Select classes are available online.
- Three-week summer Education Abroad program titled "Women, culture and development in Tanzania" allows students to build first-hand knowledge of the impact of gender, culture and globalization on people (particularly women) in Tanzania and Third World countries.
- Unique fundraising and community service opportunity in connection with a NGATHA International orphanage in Kenya.
- Advisory partnerships with faculty and staff in Communication Studies, Human Relations, Ethnic Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, English, Philosophy, Gerontology, Global Studies and Art as well as key campus centers such as the Multicultural Resource Center.
- Mass Communication
- Social Advocacy and Nonprofits
- Social Work
Connect With Us
Gender & Women's Studies (facebook)
Gender & Women's Studies (twitter)
Gender & Women's Studies (youtube)