When you work to become a medical laboratory scientist you will learn how to examine and analyze tissues and bodily fluids to help doctors diagnose and treat diseases. Students who want more responsibility, promotions and pay and already work as medical lab technicians use the program to become medical lab scientists. You'll hone your skill at tests and laboratory procedures that will to find the chemicals, microorganisms and proteins that will tell doctors how to find the most-effective treatment. You will gain academic and hospital laboratory training and work in one of our clinical affiliates.
NAACLS Accreditation and Benchmark Outcomes
Graduation, Certification, and Employment Benchmarks
The Medical Laboratory Science program at St. Cloud State University is accredited by the National Accreditation Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS), 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119 - phone number 773-714-8880, www.naacls.org.
- Lab sessions in the $45 million Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF).
- Area of studies include hematology, microbiology, immunohematology, molecular biology and clinical chemistry fields.
- Option to pair three years of classwork at St. Cloud State with one year of an internship (3+1).
- Option for a two-plus-two-years (2+2) collaborative program between St. Cloud State and North Hennepin Community College. Distance immersive learning options available.
- High demand for program graduates in hospital labs, clinics and research centers.
- Medical Laboratory Technician to Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLT to MLS) program earned accreditation by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) for the 2+2 program with North Hennepin Community College.
- Graduates qualify to take American Society for Clinical Pathology national certification exams.
- Public Health
- Biomedical Technology
- Health Care Management and Administration
- Law and Public Advocacy
University Facts & Stats
- 100% of Medical Lab Science graduates employed
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- 1,100+ international students
- A 2021 Military Friendly® Top 10 School designation
- Among Forbes' "America's Top Colleges"
Connect With Us
College of Health and Wellness Professions (facebook)