Students who major in health and physical education prepare to teach those topics in schools and promote healthful living in school and community programs. You'll learn about fitness, behaviors that promote wellness, and sports medicine. You'll develop skills and strategies for motivating youth and adults to commit to a healthful lifestyle. Successful completion of coursework, field work, and student teaching will lead to a physical education teaching degree for Pre-K through 12th grade or a health education degree that leads to licensing for teaching fifth- through 12th-graders. You can choose classes that also prepare you to earn athletic coaching credentials.
- Access to Halenbeck Hall, a facility that accommodates instruction, research, athletics and recreational activities.
- Student organizations that provide leadership and community interaction opportunities.
- Home to Earth Day Run half marathon, which draws thousands interested in healthful activity to the campus annually.
- Faculty who have distinguished themselves with performance and equipment research for Olympic teams.
- Home to teams that compete at NCAA Division I and II levels
- Athletes that volunteer in 70 activities annually
- Teaching licensure programs approved by Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB).
- Membership in Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP).
- Human Performance Lab that does corporate research and athlete testing and operates community education and adult fitness programs.
- Co-teaching initiative that earned 2010 Renaissance Group "Signature Project" and "Promising Practice" designations from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education Blue Ribbon Panel on Clinical Experiences.
- Health/Physical Education Teacher
- Athletic Coach
- Personal Trainer
- Fitness Instructor
- Behavioral Health Specialist
- Rehabilitation Therapist
- Activities Director
University Facts & Stats
- 3,000 students/semester join group fitness programs
- More than 600 student veterans and active military enrolled
- A 2021 Military Friendly® Top 10 School designation
- 1,100+ international students
- Among Forbes' "America's Top Colleges"
Connect With Us
College of Health and Wellness Professions (facebook)