As a teacher licensed for grades 5-12 with the intent to teach college-level courses in the high school you can use this certification to demonstrate the 18 credits of coursework needed at the graduate level to meet accreditation requirements for teaching content courses in the field of English.
Our program design engages an array of approaches: methods and theoretical foundations; and graduate-level expansion of content knowledge of writing studies, literary and cultural studies and the teaching disciplines.
- English faculty emphasize expertise in the fields of digital media, the teaching of writing and composition, creative writing and the teaching of teachers.
- Candidates may pursue opportunities to interact with one of the nation’s oldest writing centers.
- Pedagogy reflects a commitment to English language learners and international students.
- Combining this certificate with the 18-credit certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages meets the 36-credit requirement to earn a master’s degree in English.
- Coursework, especially in the field of writing studies, is increasingly available online.
- The English Department publishes Upper Mississippi Harvest, an annual literary and art magazine and Kaleidoscope, a multicultural literary arts magazine.
- High School Teacher
- English Teacher
- Community College Teacher
Connect With Us
School of Graduate Studies
St. Cloud State University