Pursuing a master's degree in rhetoric and writing will help you develop strong reading, writing and critical thinking skills, It will also help prepare you for careers in teaching, writing, communication or editing, or for further study at the doctoral level.
You will be exposed to the wide-ranging field of rhetoric and writing in courses that explore rhetoric, composition, new media studies and pedagogy.
- Small seminar-style classes allow for informed discussions about literature and close mentoring relationships with faculty.
- Tuition costs less than $14,000 for Minnesota and reciprocity students.
- Program offers flexible scheduling with evening courses.
- Up to 30 graduate assistantships are available teaching first-year composition and consulting at the writing center, providing students with a stipend and tuition remission.
- Student-faculty contact extends beyond the classroom with an emphasis on advising final research projects.
- Graduates find successful placement into Ph.D. programs.
- Students regularly attend and present at professional conferences.
- Students can participate in the publication of the English department's Upper Mississippi Harvest, an annual literary and art magazine or Kaleidoscope, a multicultural literary arts magazine.
- Writing center consultant
- Technical writer
- Grant writer
Connect With Us
School of Graduate Studies
Creative Writing Program
The Write Place