Students who choose to follow a pre-veterinary course of study design a program that will increase their chances of admission to veterinary medical school. You'll meet early in your freshman year with a pre-vet adviser who will help you plan your undergraduate curriculum. You'll consider an undergraduate degree in programs such as biology, biotechnology or biochemistry that will best prepare you for acceptance into the highly competitive veterinary medicine schools. Rich opportunities for laboratory and fieldwork will provide opportunities to build and practice skills and techniques useful in your eventual veterinary studies.
- Smart classrooms, technology-enhanced lecture halls, advanced laboratories and secure storage for materials in the updated Robert H. Wick Science Building.
- Biology Tutoring Center positioned near a new anatomy and physiology suite in a remodeled Wick Science Building is open weekdays
- Completion of a comprehensive major or major/minor combination required.
- Assigned faculty adviser assists with course selection and preparation for competitive admissions requirements of professional schools
- High success rate in admission to professional schools.
- Chemistry program is approved by the American Chemical Society.
- $126,000 2014 National Science Foundation grant for research on aquatic ecosystems in Chicago's waterways.
- Emphasis on science and technology that includes completion of $45 million Integrated Science & Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF), $14.5-million addition to Robert H. Wick Science Building and $13.6-million renovation of Brown Hall completed within the past five years.
- Pre-Veterinary Society
- Biology Club
- Medical Professions Association
- Chemistry Club
University Facts & Stats
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- Commitment to carbon neutrality by 2035
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- Student volunteers collect 1,200 pounds of garbage each year along the Mississippi River
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Veterinary tech