Biology (Bachelor of Elective Studies)
If you choose a study path toward a bachelor of elective studies degree in biology, you'll take courses in biology and chemistry and pair those with an array of elective courses. In effect, you will design your degree based on your interests, even if they are in a program not specifically offered at St. Cloud State. You'll have access to an impressive array of specialized laboratories to supplement your classroom learning. You'll be taught by faculty members who are engaged in current research and who involve undergraduates in that research. You'll prepare for a future in research, education or fieldwork.
- Smart classrooms, technology-enhanced lecture halls and advanced laboratories in the updated Robert H. Wick Science Building.
- Biology Tutoring Center positioned near a new anatomy and physiology suite is open weekdays
- Spring 2014 research projects included work in diabetes, commerical algae growth, Hawaiian waterfalls, and in the Chicago waterways and streams around the Great Lakes.
- Herbarium with a diverse collection that is a growing primary database for biodiversity and systemic research for the academic, public and professional communities.
- Select classes are available online.
- A herbarium with a vascular plant collection especially strong in Central Minnesota counties' materials dating to the 1800s.
- Biology and ecology faculty active in nationally-recognized research programs such as invasive species, food safety and diabetes.
- Faculty includes nationally-cited aquatic fauna expert Heiko Schoenfuss, who directs the Aquatic Toxicology Laboratory on campus and is a leading researcher on how contaminants disrupt aquatic ecosystems.
- Medical Professions Association
- Ecology Club
- American Society of Microbiology
- Advocates for Animals and the Environment (AAE)
- Students Organized for Sustainability (Students for Sustainability )
- Pre-Vet Society
- Pre-Dental Club
University Facts & Stats
- $106 million in scholarships loans and grants
- Commitment to carbon neutrality by 2035
- 39 Education Abroad programs offered
- Student volunteers collect 1,200 pounds of garbage each year along the Mississippi River
- Top 1% of the most affordable universities in Forbes' "America's Top Colleges" ranking
- Marine/Aquatic biologist
- Biomedical Researcher