As a student in the physics major, you'll hone your skills as a problem solver who can work on technically sophisticated research and development projects. As you learn how physics serves as the foundation for key principles in science and engineering fields, you'll target your studies on astrophysics, engineering science, mathematical physics, electro-optics or combine programs to design your own path. Through classwork, access to the latest equipment and research opportunities, you'll be able to compare notes with world-class physicists working around the world. The program also is exceptional preparation for graduate studies in the physics fields.
- Bachelor of science degrees in:
- Bachelor of elective studies:
- Minors in:
- Research labs in optics, materials, observational astronomy and computational physics.
- Modern optics lab allows computer-assisted optical design work and laser and fiber optic experimentation.
- Faculty research programs in theoretical nuclear physics, theoretical quantum mechanics, laser spectroscopy, materials development and testing, planetary science, extragalactic astronomy and stellar astronomy.
- Faculty-student research collaboration encouraged
- State-of-the-art lasers available for spectroscopy.
- Select classes are available online.
- New optics and advanced optics laboratories in the new, 100,000-square-foot Integrated Science and Engineering Laboratory Facility (ISELF)
- Device designed by physics professor John Harlander will be part of NASA's 2017 Explorer satellite mission
- A full-sized planetarium in the remodeled Robert H. Wick Science building
- Rooftop observatory with 6-, 8- and 11-inch telescopes and attachments for viewing solar flares and sunspots, photometric studies and astrophotography
- Notable alumnus: Dan Hooper '99 is a dark matter expert and associate scientist in the Theoretical Astrophysics Group at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, Chicago.
- Physics Teacher/Professor
- Research Project Leader
- Planetarium Director
- Product Development
- Electrical Equipment Manufacturing