Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
Faculty and Staff
101 Engineering and Computing Center
Saint Cloud State University
720 Fourth Avenue South
Saint Cloud, Minnesota 56301-4498
Steven J. Covey
- Chair, Professor
- Ph.D. 1993, University of Cincinnati
Exploiting interactions between mechanical design, material science, and manufacturing processes for product design and/or failure analysis including applications in the biomedical, aerospace, and computer industries. Specific areas include materials selection, solid mechanics, fatigue and failure analysis, finite element methods, stress analysis, composite materials, and manufacturing processes. Laboratory experience includes uniaxial/biaxial servo hydraulic mechanical testing, optical/SEM/AFM microscopy, material process simulations, fractography, and LabVIEW software.
- Director, Master of Engineering Management Program.
- Ph.D. 1999, Swinburne, Australia
- Manufacturing engineering and engineering management, computer integrated manufacturing.
- Associate Professor
- Ph.D. 2003, Purdue University
- Manufacturing process, materials processing, CAD/CAM,CAPP metrology/instrumentation, precision engineering, nano-technology, and fixture/tool design, machine/tool design.
- Associate Professor
- Ph.D. Michigan Technological University
- Mechanical Engineering - Engineering Mechanics
- Ph.D. 2000, University of Southern Carolina
- Mechanical engineering
John A. Mirth
- Ph.D. 1990, University of Minnesota
A. Serdar Sezen
- Ph.D. 2006, University of Minnesota
Transducers for biomedical applications; Carbon nanotube - Polymer composite sensors; Supercapacitive sensors, Product design and development for medical and surgical training systems; Minimally invasive medical technology development; Design, fabrication and control of MEMS sensors and actuators; Passive (batteryless) wireless telemetry; Rigid and compliant mechanism design, Industrial automation and control
Hiral A. Shah
- Ph.D. 2008, Eastern Michigan University
Lean manufacturing, Delphi technique, curriculum development, trends and improvements in online teaching systems.
Yongli (Julianna) Zhao
- Ph.D., University of Iowa
Computational multiphase/multi-scale flow, particulate transport, particle collision and adhesion, computation methods in high speed energy production (biofuel combustion), sustainable energy systems and energy efficiency characterizations, aerosol/air pollution, nanoparticle/nanotube suspensions in spin coating, and to biotechnologies
Retired and Former Faculty
Andrew Bekkala, Ph.D., PE
- Ph.D. 1990, Michigan Technological University
- Control systems, machine controls, automated machine design, robotic systems design and control, robust control, quality engineering, design of experiments, robust product design.
Warren Yu, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Mechanical engineering, Washington State University, 1988