Minnesota State Administrator (Interim or Acting Position)
St. Cloud State University normally hires employees through a formal search process. This promotes an open competitive process and helps to ensure hiring in accordance with equal opportunity principles and merit.
ALWAYS begin with creating a PeopleAdmin Posting for all requests to fill or extend a position on a temporary basis. You must have PeopleAdmin user access and permissions in order to create a Posting. Contact Human Resources x83203 or email: email@example.com if you have questions.
Exceptions to a Formal Search Process
Interim Administrative Search Process
- If there is a need to temporarily fill a regular administrative position, an abbreviated search can be used. The goal is a temporary fill-in while a national search is organized and concluded. The aim of the institution is to commence a national administrative search to fill in behind an interim appointment as soon as possible after an interim appointment.
- Interim administrative appointments cannot exceed one year without the approval of the President. Only with approval from the President, can an interim appointment be extended up to two years.
- Interim searches are done internally through University News/SCSU Announce, mailing of Notices of vacancy to various campus constituencies, and appropriate posting of Notices of Vacancy.
- A minimum of two-week time frame is sufficient for advertising before interviewing applicants.
Emergency Search Process
- An Emergency Search appointment for short-term (less than one year) may be initiated in cases of illness, death, sudden resignation (less than 30 days), failed searches, or other circumstances where time precludes either a regular or abbreviated search.
- It requires a written request of waiver of affirmative action procedures, with an explanation of the reasons, what recruitment strategies the department/unit will make, where it will advertise, what organizations will be contacted, what other attempts the department/unit will make to ensure a successful search process, etc.
Direct Emergency Appointment
Direct Emergency Appointments may be made by the President to fill interim appointments for up to one year without a search. Such appointments are processed through Human Resources. If there is a failed search, the President may extend the appointment one additional year.
Acting Administrative Appointment
An Acting Administrative Appointment is a person appointed to the position in a temporary capacity during the absence of the permanent employee (e.g. incumbent on medical leave, leave of absence). No search is required for Acting administrative appointments of less than one year duration.
Under all circumstances, the appointment to interim, acting, or direct emergency interim appointments must be made formally and approved in advance at all required levels, including Equity & Affirmative Action and Human Resources.
Except for the position of University presidents, an interim employee may apply for the permanent position held on an interim basis. Interim candidates for permanent positions must meet the minimum education and experience requirements in order to be considered for the regular position.
Once a finalist is identified and approved by the Hiring Manager and EAAO, here are the next steps to complete the hire:
- Once determined who you will offer the position to, please request of them: a resume, references, official transcripts and have them complete the Unclassified Personnel Application form if there was no search/no application in PeopleAdmin. If an expedited search was conducted in PeopleAdmin, use the PeopleAdmin application instead.
- Once those are gathered, you’ll need to have a salary calculation prepared HR. HR will need the MSUAASF Prior Experience form – have the finalist complete this form and return to HR as soon as possible along with a copy of their resume and the completed application form.
- Once HR finishes the salary calculation, HR notify you of the salary so that you can prepare the Unclassified Employment Request form (with resume, transcripts, references and application form attached to it) which indicates who you are hiring, the dates, salary, duties and into what position. Sign this form, forward to the Hiring Manager for signature and on to Chocoletta A. Simpson in EAAO to sign; she will forward to the President, Provost or other Vice-President and then it will end up here in HR for contract processing.
- A signed copy of the Interim person's position description should also be forwarded to HR, listing the duties this person is expected to perform in this emergency hire position.
- The new hire will then need to meet with HR for I-9 completion and new employee orientation before beginning work.