Employment Procedures

Foreign Nationals

  1. When scheduling interviews, make sure to ask the candidate:
    1. Are you currently authorized to work in the United States? Y/N
    2. If no, will you be authorized to work in the United States by the date of appointment? Y/N
  2. If the candidate has informed you they are NOT a U.S. Citizen or U.S. permanent resident (“green card”), contact humanresources@stcloudstate.edu and they meet with the candidate for 15 minutes when they are on campus interviewing.
  3. If the candidate is not coming to campus for an interview and needs a work authorization, contact humanresources@stcloudstate.edu. Provide the email address of the candidate, so we can assess the situation and inform the candidate about St. Cloud State University’s process for obtaining work authorizations.
  4. As soon as a foreign national has accepted employment, inform humanresources@stcloudstate.edu. Some work visas take several months to be processed, so it is important to do this as early as possible.

The various types of work visas that foreign nationals at St. Cloud State University are H-1B, J-1, TN, F-1 OPT or CPT.

H-1B Visas

J-1 Visas

TN Visa


Connect with SCSU