Women's Center

Are you or Someone You Know a Victim of Relationship Violence?

You deserve the opportunity to speak with someone who is going to support you.  Dating/relationship violence is a horrible crime that shouldn’t happen to anyone.  Remember, you cannot change a violent partner’s behavior, but you can take steps to try and remain safe.  No one has the right to hurt you (PDF: What A Survivor Needs to Know). 

Who Can I Talk To?

An advocate can help you make decisions that are best for you. 

Women’s Center, Gender Violence Prevention Program
320.308.3995 or 320.308.4958 during regular business hours

Anna Marie’s Alliance
24-hour crisis hotline

  • Communicate with someone you trust like a CA, faculty, or staff member.  Note that different people on campus have different reporting responsibilities, and different abilities to maintain your confidentiality depending on their roles.  If you want to talk with someone who can maintain your complete confidentiality, offer you options and advice without any obligation to tell anyone unless you want them to, you should contact the Women’s Center’s Gender Violence Prevention Program, Counseling and Psychological Services or Student Health Services.  If you want to discuss your situation with others outside of these three named departments, know that they may have a legal obligation to report crimes and policy violations to the Title IX Officer on campus.

    • If you are in immediate danger call 911.
    • Remember: threatened or actual physical violence is illegal.  Consider calling law enforcement for help.  (320) 251-1200.


Develop a personalized safety plan.  Women’s Center or Anna Marie’s Alliance advocates can assist you to develop a personalized safety plan whether you are with the abusive partner or leaving the relationship.  For a generalized safety plan, see the Personal Planning Safety Guide. Using the Threat Assessment Guide can also aid in developing a safety plan.

During violent situations, stay away from rooms with items that could be used as weapons.  In a residence hall room, try to stay near the door.  Do not hesitate to lie or pretend to go along with the abuse in order to stay as safe as possible.

Arrange a signal with a neighbor to inform them you need help or assistance.

Plan a safe time to get away.  You can call the police to come while you quickly pack to leave.

File a petition for a protective order with the civil court.  A protective order is a civil court order that is designed to stop an abuser from continuing acts of violence, threats, harassment, or stalking.  Contact an advocate at the Women’s Center or Anna Marie’s Alliance to assist you in filling out a protective order and finding out which type of order you would need.  Protective orders do not penalize the abuser unless they violate the order. There is not a fee and you do not need to have an attorney.  We strongly advise you work with an advocate to help prepare your case and accompany you to court.  For more information about preparing your case:

If the order is granted, keep a copy with you at all times, including in your car, and file a copy with the Public Safety Department at SCSU, along with the abuser’s picture and car description.

Leave an emergency kit with a neighbor or someone you trust.  Include supplies such as:  money, important papers, keys, a credit card, and prescriptions or medicine.

Consider filing criminal charges.  It is against the law to physically assault, harass or stalk someone.  You can report these behaviors to the local law enforcement agency.

Campus Options

Please view What If I Have Experienced Sexual or Gender Violence and If You Are an SCSU Student for more information about the rights and resources afforded to you by university policy and state/federal laws.

If the abuser is affiliated with St. Cloud State University, you can file a Title IX complaint with the Office for Institutional Equity & Access on campus at 320.308.5123.  An advocate from the Women’s Center can assist you with this process.

If the incident occurred on St. Cloud State property or while you were engaged in university related activities (excluding but not limited to: research, service, study abroad, field work, internship, athletics or volunteer work) or the alleged perpetrator is a student, staff, faculty member or volunteer at St. Cloud State University, contact the Office for Institutional Equity and Access to file a discrimination or harassment complaint.  An advocate from the Women’s Center can assist you. Call 320.308.5123 or e-mail: oea@stcloudstate.edu

In either situation, you may inquire about a “no trespass” notice from the Equity and Affirmative Action Office.

Consider calling the Public Safety department’s walking escort service at 308-3333.

For more information view campus and local resources.