Women's Center

Are you or Someone You Know a Victim of Harassment or Stalking?


Trust your instincts. If you feel you are unsafe, you probably are. Don’t downplay the danger.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

  • If you are a student at SCSU and you or someone you know is being stalked, view What If I Have Experienced Sexual or Gender Violence and If You Are an SCSU Student to learn more about the resources available to you and the rights afforded to you by university policy and state/federal law.
  • For confidential services, call the Women’s Center. We provide emotional support, personalized safety planning, and/or assistance in applying for protective orders. (320) 308-4958
  • You can also contact the Stalking Response Program Intake and Information Line (612) 343-0793
  • Take threats seriously. Danger generally is higher when the stalker talks about suicide or murder or a victim tries to leave or end the relationship.
  • Develop a safety plan, including changing your routine, arranging a place to stay, (you may want to talk with an advocate about alternative housing on campus) and having a friend accompany you.  Also, decide in advance what to do if the stalker shows up at your home, work, school, or somewhere else. Tell people how they can help you. Download a Personal Safety Planning Guide.
  • Don’t communicate with the stalker or respond to attempts to contact you. However, also do not simply ignore the behavior as this can escalate the situation.

Stalking is a crime

  • Keep evidence of the stalking. When the stalker follows you or contacts you, write down the time, date, place, and how it made you feel. Keep e-mails by printing them out, phone messages, letters, or notes. Photograph anything of yours the stalker damages and any injuries the stalker causes. Ask witnesses to write down what they saw.  Download a stalking log.
  • Contact the police and/or Public Safety.  The stalker may also have broken other laws by doing things like assaulting you or stealing or destroying your property. Contact Public Safety for information on protecting yourself on campus.
  • Consider getting a protection order that tells the stalker to stay away from you. You may also be able to get a no trespass order on campus in certain situations.  The Gender Violence Prevention Program has the protection orders available to fill out and can assist with the process.  We strongly encourage you not to file a protective order without an advocate’s assistance.  Make a copy for SCSU Public Safety and provide a picture of the stalker if you have one, as well as a license plate number.
  • Tell family, friends, roommates, and co-workers about the stalking and seek their support. Tell Public Safety and staff at your job or school. Ask them to help watch out for your safety.
  • Leave an “emergency kit” with a neighbor or someone you trust.  Include supplies such as: money, important papers, keys, a credit card, and medicine.
  • In case of violent situations, stay away from rooms with items that could be used as weapons. In a residence hall room, try to stay near a door.
  • Arrange a signal with a neighbor to inform them if you need help or assistance.

File a harassment/discrimination complaint with the Title IX Coordinator in the Office for Institutional Equity and Access if the stalker is a student, faculty or staff member at St. Cloud State University.


Victims of all crimes, including harassment and stalking, are encouraged to report and obtain assistance from the Women’s Center.  Advocates from the Women’s Center can help people learn about their legal rights, how to file complaints, and campus and community services designed to help victims of violence, harassment and/or stalking.  Advocates work closely with the Public Safety Department and St. Cloud Police Department in order to serve the needs of victims.

Call (320) 308-3995 to speak with and/or schedule an appointment with an advocate at the Women’s Center.

For additional information: