Student Registration & Financial Services

Scholarships and Grants

Scholarships and grants are often referred to as “free money.” They do not need to be repaid. Grants are often need-based. Scholarships are usually merit-based.



Grants may be federal or state gift-aid. Grant eligibility is determined by your FAFSA results.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant is based on financial need as determined by the federal formula used in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Eligible students must:

  • Be an undergraduate student who does not have a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Enroll in 12 or more credits per term to receive the full time award amount. Students may receive prorated award amount when taking fewer than 12 credits per semester.
  • Register for all courses by the end of the free drop/add period, usually the sixth class day for fall and spring semesters. If you add a class after this date, your Pell Grant will not increase based on the change in enrollment.
  • Receive Pell Grant funds at only one school for a term. A student taking courses at two schools during the same term may only receive Pell Grant funds at one school.     
  • Have received this grant for less than six annual award amounts. If you already received the Pell Grant for 12 full-time semesters (or equivalent), you are not eligible for the Pell Grant even if you have not yet completed your bachelor’s degree.

The Federal Pell Grant Program is available to eligible students for three terms per year. Another great reason to consider summer enrollmentSummer eligibility requirements:

1) current Pell Grant recipient, 
2) enrolled in at least six credits during summer, and
3) meet all other eligibility requirements.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act

On March 23, 2018, the President signed the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year. A Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made. To qualify a student must:

  • be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC (up to 5486 for 2018-2019), and
  • be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death.
The student continues to be eligible for the scholarship in susequest years provided the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, often referred to as the SEOG, is available to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Funding for this grant program is limited and is awarded on a first come, first served basis. It is important to apply for financial aid early each year to determine your eligibility for the SEOG. You must be eligible for a Pell Grant to receive an SEOG.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher  Education (TEACH) Grant provides up to $4,000* per year to students who intend to teach full-time as a highly qualified teacher in specific high-need fields, in a low-income school. Aggregate maximums: $16,000 (undergraduates) and $8,000 (graduates). Failure to complete the required 4-year service requirement will  permanently convert the TEACH Grant to an unsubsidized Direct loan. 

*TEACH Grants first disbursed after March 1, 2013 will be reduced due to federal sequestration.

Eligibility Requirements

Service Requirements

State Grants

Minnesota State Grant

Eligibility for the Minnesota State Grant is based on financial need and is available to undergraduate Minnesota residents. Students may receive the Minnesota State Grant for three (3) consecutive semesters during the course of a single fiscal year.

Eligible students must:

  • Be an undergraduate student earning a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Enroll in three or more credits per term.
  • Have attended post-secondary institutions for less than the equivalent of four full years.
  • Enroll in 15 or more credits per term to receive the full-time award amount. If you are awarded a Minnesota Grant, your award letter lists your award amount at each enrollment level.
  • Not be more than 30 days in arrears on child support payments.
  • Not be delinquent on Minnesota SELF loan interest payments.
  • Have a FAFSA processed by the 30th day of the term to be eligible for Minnesota Grant funds for that term.

Minnesota GI Bill

Minnesota GI Bill
The Minnesota GI Bill Program was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary financial assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans who served on or after September 11, 2001. The MN GI Bill program was enhanced in 2013 to include all eligible Minnesota veterans, non-veterans who served in the military, and eligible spouses and children. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students may be eligible to receive up to $500 per semester up to $3,000 per academic year and $10,000 per lifetime.

Minnesota GI Bill and other military educational benefits eligibility requirements and application.

Minnesota Post-secondary Child Care Grant Program

Minnesota Post-secondary  Child Care Grant Program Minnesota residents who have children 12 years of age or younger may be eligible for child care assistance. The grant amount is determined by the size and income of the student's family.

  • You must be a Minnesota resident pursuing your first bachelor's degree or a master's degree.
  • You cannot be receiving Minnesota  Family Investment Program (MFIP) benefits. If you receive MFIP, you may want to contact your county social services office about county child care assistance.
  • Undergraduate students cannot have earned a baccalaureate degree or been enrolled on a full-time basis for 10 semesters or the equivalent.
  • Graduate/professional students could be eligible for an additional four years of postsecondary attendance after completion of a bachelor's degree.
  • Complete the Child Care Grant Application and return it to the Financial Aid Office.

Minnesota Teacher Candidate Grant

Minnesota Teacher Candidate Grant is for students enrolled in a Minnesota teacher preparation program and who meet eligibility criteria. The program provides up to $7,500 during one term. 

For more information, contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education

Minnesota T.E.A.C.H. (Teacher Education and Compensation Helps) Early Childhood Scholarship Program

T.E.A.C.H Minnesota Scholarship Program (Teacher Education and Compensation Helps) is for child care/school-age care professionals currently working in the child care/school-age care field, either in a licensed or legally regulated child care program or a licensed family child care program. Individuals must be working towards an associate or bachelor degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development.

The T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood ® MINNESOTA  Scholarship Program is not the same as the federal TEACH Grant program for eligible students planning  to teach in a high-need field in a low-income elementary or secondary school. T.E.A.C.H.  Early Childhood ® MINNESOTA scholarship recipients do not qualify for the federal TEACH Grant.

T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood ® MINNESOTA scholarship application is available at Complete applications must be submitted to the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood ® MINNESOTA scholarship program. Do not submit your application to the school. For more information about the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood ® MINNESOTA program contact Child Care Aware of Minnesota.

Other Grants

American Indian Scholarships and Grants

American Indian Scholarship and Grants There are two primary sources of scholarship or grant funding for American Indian students:

  • Federal  Bureau of Indian Affairs: The awards are made by individual tribes. Students need to contact the tribe with which they are affiliated or enrolled for specific information and application forms.
  • Minnesota  Indian Scholarship Program: Students must be a Minnesota resident, who can verify at least one-fourth degree blood quantum of American Indian ancestry. Students must apply to their home tribes or agencies in addition to  the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program.

Apply online at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. Application forms are also available in St. Cloud State's American Indian Center or the Financial Aid Office. Students must apply for federal and state financial aid before Indian scholarship agencies can determine eligibility for funding. It is important to apply early as many agencies have deadlines for consideration.

More information can be obtained by contacting the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program:

Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program
1450 Energy Park Drive
Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Telephone: (651) 642-0567 or 1-800-657-3866
Fax: 651-642-0675

Some specialized funding programs are available for American Indian students pursuing areas of study in which there is a shortage of professionals. More information is available from the Indian  Health Service, Bemidji Area IHS, Federal Building, Room 115A, 522 Minnesota Ave NW, Bemidji, MN  56601, (218) 444-0486.

Child Care Access Means Parents In School (CCAMPIS) Grant

The purpose of CCAMPIS grants is to support low-income parents in post-secondary education by providing assistance to pay for campus-based child care services. For more information and to apply for a grant:

Huskies Emergency Grant

This program is designed to assist financial aid eligible undergraduates with a financial emergency which is defined as an unforeseen expense that, if not resolved quickly, could lead to the student’s departure from college and loss of momentum toward completion of a degree.

This funding is from a DASH Grant awarded for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years by Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation. 

Minnesota Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)

Minnesota Division of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) Educational benefits may be available to students who have a disability that is considered a handicap to employment. The amount received is based upon individual needs and program requirements. DRS requires students seeking assistance from its agency to first apply for financial aid.

For additional information contact your high school counselor, local DRS office, or the Minnesota State Office:

Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)
390 N. Robert St.
St. Paul, MN 55101

Twin Cities: (651) 296-7114
Greater Minnesota: 1-800-657-3858
TTY: (651) 296-3900

Public Safety Officer's Survivor Grant

Public Safety Officer's Survivor Grant

The Public Safety Officer's Survivor Grant provides educational benefits to dependent children and the surviving spouse of a public safety officer killed in the line of duty on or after January 1, 1973.

Applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program or a certificate program after June 30, 2011 at an eligible Minnesota institution. Awards must be applied for each term. Applicants must provide a certificate of eligibility to the Financial Aid Office at the school they attend or plan to attend. The certificate of eligibility can be obtained from:

Minnesota Department of Public Safety
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 1000 NCL Tower
St. Paul, MN 55101

Tel: (651) 201-7164

Education Vouchers for Former Youth in Care

Education Vouchers  for Former Youth in Care
Education vouchers are federal funds made available to states through the Chafee Foster Care Independence Act, and are intended to help youth ages 18 to 23 pay for postsecondary education. Youth applying for an Education and Training Voucher (ETV) for the first time, or those who previously completed an application but did not receive an ETV award, must meet the following criteria. The first two are required and at least one of the remaining criteria is required:

  • You are under age 21 at the time you begin your postsecondary program.
  • You have been accepted into an accredited postsecondary program.
  • You were in a county/tribal court approved out-of-home placement after the age of 14.
  • You were adopted after age 16.
  • You are/were in an out-of-home placement up to or beyond your 18th birthday.
  • You are/were under state guardianship.

Application information is available from the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Applications are reviewed once a year. You also must attach a copy of your completed FAFSA, apply for other sources  of financial aid, and submit two letters of recommendation. Students may reapply for education vouchers every year. Transcripts are required as evidence of progress in a post-secondary education program. Students have until June 1 to apply for vouchers for the fall term. For more information, visit the Minnesota Department of Human Services Education and Training Voucher Website or contact:

Minnesota Department of Human Services
444 Lafayette Road North, 3rd Floor South
St. Paul, MN 55155

Tel: (651) 431-4663