Pay periods follow a two-week cycle beginning on a Wednesday and ending on a Tuesday. Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and 40 hours per week during university breaks. The hourly cap includes all work assignments the student may have on campus.

The Principal Investigator (PI) will need to provide designated personnel with the name of the newly hired student and their Tech ID for the hiring process. Designated personnel will verify if the student is in ISRS (student payroll system).

Designated personnel will authorize student employees for payroll, once given the following information:

  • cost center
  • rate of pay
  • start/end dates
  • job title

If the rate of pay is greater than the rate for on-campus employment, the Student Pay Increase Form will have to be completed.

For more information please see the Student Employment Handbook.

Graduate Assistants

Graduate Assistants are allowed to work 20 hours per week (full-time) or 10 hours per week (part-time). Graduate Assistants can be hired for an entire academic year or one semester. Graduate Assistants receive salaries and tuition stipends depending on their status; full-time (8 credits) or part time (6 credits).

To hire a Graduate Assistant, the Principal Investigator (PI) creates a position description with the following information:

  • Position type: teaching assistantship, research assistantship, or program assistantship.
  • Hiring department, responsibilities, learning outcomes and qualifications.

The PI identifies candidates for the Graduate Assistantship and communicates with designated personnel regarding their intent to hire.

The designated then verify if the student is in the ISRS (student payroll system) and will complete the hiring process and create an appointment letter.

The Graduate Assistant must be hired as an hourly employee during breaks or over the summer months.

Information for Graduate Assistant Supervisors can be found on the School of Graduate Studies web site. 

Whether awarding tuition remission to undergraduate or graduate students (ONLY those graduate students without a Graduate Assistantship), the process works the same.  A scholarship is processed through the Financial Aid Office and then the grant/contract is charged for the accompanying tuition charges.   
Office manager or responsible person for the grant account completes two forms to facilitate payment of tuition for undergraduate and graduate students to process the tuition remission payment:

  1. Financial Aid/Foundation/Department Scholarship Notification Form
    1. Complete student name and tech ID
    2. “Department awarding the scholarship"
    3. “Scholarship Name”, enter Account Number and Account Name (i.e. 628711 - NSF Grants)
    4. “Business Office #”, enter 424242
    5. “Department Account #”, enter grant account number
    6. Complete “total amount”, “academic year”, “disbursement”, “contact Info”, route to responsible person on the account to sign
    7. Keep a copy and send original to Financial Aid Office, AS106
  2. PR1400 form to move funds from grant to the scholarship fund
    1. Indicate amount to be paid
    2. Vendor is St. Cloud State University
    3. Indicate on the PR1400 form the student awarded the scholarship and reference Research and Sponsored Programs Grants Scholarship account 424242
    4. Use grant account number and object code 7104
    5. Responsible person on account signs the form
    6. Attach a copy of the Financial Aid/Foundation/Department Scholarship Notification Form
    7. Keep copies and route original PR1400 and attachments to Business Office, AS-123