Office for Institutional Equity & Access

What to do if I have experienced Sexual Assault, Rape, Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment or Stalking

Make a Report

The following resources are available to all students, staff, faculty, guests and volunteers at St. Cloud State University.

Gender and sexual violence includes but is not limited to actual, attempted and threatened instances of:

If you are in immediate danger, call 911. 

24-hour crisis lines are available through

These sources are confidential, which means they do not have to report to law enforcement.

Attempted, threatened or actual sexual violence is a crime. You have the right to report it. There are a number of options for you if you want to discuss sexual assault, dating violence, stalking or sexual harassment in confidence. They can offer you options and advice without any obligation to tell anyone unless you want them to. Other resources report crimes and policy violations and they will take action when you report to them.

If you would like to speak to a confidential source

If you would like to speak to a confidential source (trained individuals who are not legally mandated to report instances of sexual and gender violence to law enforcement or university officials) regarding instances or suspected instances of sexual violence you’ve experienced or on behalf of a friend or loved one, trained advocates are available to support you. They assist in outlining all of your options and rights, address your concerns, and support you through a reporting process (should you choose to file a report).

  • Advocates are available at the Women’s Center during business hours, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. You can reach the Women’s Center by phone at 320.308.4958.
  • Advocates are also available at the Central Minnesota Sexual Assault Center and Anna Marie’s Alliance, which are not affiliated with SCSU but are confidential resources.
  • Licensed counselors and clinicians are available free of charge to students at Counseling and Psychological Services, open Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.  (320.308.3171).
  • Health Services can provide medical evaluation and treatment, open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (320.308.3191).

The Women’s Center, Counseling and Psychological Services and the services provided by Anna Marie’s Alliance and the Central Minnesota Sexual Assault Center are all confidential. What you share with individuals within these locations will be kept private except in incidences of imminent harm to self or others; records being subpoenaed for a criminal case (sexual assault advocates have Legal Privilege under Minnesota Law) and incidences that fall under the Child Abuse and Neglect Mandated reporting laws. This would include reports of sexual abuse or physical abuse perpetrated by someone who falls into the “responsible person” category that occurs to a minor or has occurred within the preceding three years or 10 years if there are multiple victims. For specific details:

You have many options and rights. What is most important is your safety and well-being. For more information about the rights of those who have faced sexual or gender violence, see the Guide for Sexual Assault Survivors.

If you would like to report to law enforcement

  • The St. Cloud Police Department (320) 345-4444 will respond to emergencies. Law enforcement officers assist in, document and record occurrences of crimes.
  • Campus Public Safety is also available to help and can be reached by phone at (320) 308-3333.

Note that reports made to law enforcement are NOT confidential.

If you would like to file a harassment or discrimination complaint

If the incident occurred on St. Cloud State property or while you were engaged in university related activities (excluding but not limited to: research, service, study abroad, field work, internship, athletics or volunteer work) or the alleged perpetrator is a student, staff, faculty member or volunteer at St. Cloud State University, you can speak to the Title IX coordinator, Ellyn Bartges, in the Office for Institutional Equity & Access, open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. in Administrative Services 102.

  • Make an online report or
  • Schedule a meeting to talk about the incident and obtain resources on how best to proceed:
    • Call the Office for Institutional Equity & Access at (320) 308-5123 or
    • Submit a meeting request form

The person filing the complaint need not be a victim of the alleged discrimination but may complain on behalf of another person.

Additional Resources