Pursuing a master's degree in English studies will help you develop strong writing and critical thinking skills. It will also help prepare for a career in teaching, writing or editing as well as for further study at the doctoral level.
You will be exposed to the wide-ranging field of English studies in courses that explore literature, rhetoric, composition, new media studies, creative writing and pedagogy.
- Small seminar-style classes allow for informed discussions about literature and close mentoring relationships with faculty.
- Tuition costs less than $15,000 for Minnesota and reciprocity students.
- Program offers flexible scheduling with evening courses.
- Up to 30 assistantships available teaching first-year composition and consulting at the writing center, providing students with a stipend and tuition remission.
- Close student-faculty contact outside the classroom with an emphasis on advising final research projects.
- Successful placement of graduates into Ph.D. and MFA programs.
- Students regularly attend and present at professional conferences.
- The Write Place provides individualized help in writing while respecting a writer's authority and ownership of their work.
- The English Department publishes Upper Mississippi Harvest, an annual literary and art magazine and Kaleidoscope, a multicultural literary arts magazine.
- Writing center consultant
- Technical writer
- Grant writer