Graduate Admissions

Frequently Asked Questions

How large is the School of Graduate Studies?

St. Cloud State's fall 2016 enrollment is more than 15,000, including approximately 1,856 graduate students.

Is Graduate School Right For Me?

The Career Center at St. Cloud State serves students throughout their time at SCSU, not just in their final year. It is their goal to make students engaged in the career process so when it is time to apply, students have the skills needed to succeed. If you are thinking about graduate school, please check out their resource on Exploring Graduate School with some important things to consider when looking into graduate level education. 

How do I determine which graduate program is best for me?

SCSU offers a wide variety of graduate programs. You can visit with a career counselor or use career resources in our Career Center located in Centennial Hall in Room 215 or visit  We also encourage you to review SCSU’s programs to identify those of greatest interest to you. Visit the program descriptions for each program to research their requirements and expectations. Compare that to your academic background, professional experience, interests and goals to decide which type of graduate education is best for you.

How do I access an application for admission?

Complete the online application.

How do I apply as a non-degree seeking (student guest)?

Complete the online application.

Do I have to fill out separate applications for the academic program department and School of Graduate Studies?


Am I eligible to apply to the School of Graduate Studies?

An applicant must meet ONE of the following Grade Point Average (GPA) standards to be eligible for admission consideration to the School of Graduate Studies:

  • Possess at least an overall 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale) in your previous undergraduate work.
  • Possess at least an overall GPA of at least 2.75 (4.0 scale) in the last half of your undergraduate work.

An applicant with graduate coursework must meet one of the above requirements plus possess at least an overall 3.00 GPA (4.0 scale) in his/her graduate course work.

  • An applicant must additionally meet specific program criteria to be eligible for admission consideration.
  • Some programs require the GRE. Find these details at the beginning of each program description in the graduate catalog. 
  • The GMAT is required of all MBA applicants.

Who do I contact for admission requirements and information specific to my program or certificate?

Some programs have additional admission requirements and materials to be submitted.  Find these details at the beginning of each program description in the graduate catalog.  You can also contact the graduate program coordinator for any questions directly related to your program.

What if I have not finished my bachelor degree?  May I still apply?

Yes! We can evaluate your application if you are in the process of completing a bachelor degree. Applicants without a completed bachelor degree at time of application could be considered for a provisional admission status.  You will want to submit an unofficial transcript that records at least three years (three-fourths of the credits required for degree) of completed course work.  Your bachelor degree must be conferred before you commence graduate coursework and you will be requested to provide an official transcript to the School of Graduate Studies.

What do I need to submit?

Please visit the Applications Instructions page to find all of the application requirements.

Can the application fee be waived?

The application fee is waived for McNair Scholars, Veterans or those currently serving in the US Armed Services and their military spouses. We cannot process an application until we have received the application fee.

What is involved in the admission process?

When all required application materials have been received by the School of Graduate Studies and minimum academic requirements have been met your application file will be sent to the graduate program for review by a graduate faculty committee. An admission recommendation will be made at the program level and will be returned to the School of Graduate Studies for final review. A letter will be mailed to you informing you of the admission outcome.

How do I make a correction after submitting my application?

Please contact the School of Graduate Studies via phone or e-mail to supply updated details.  Contact details: 320-308-2114 or e-mail  Our staff will change your application details within the database.

My transcripts, recommendation forms and test scores are not ready.  Should I wait to submit my application?

No, do not wait. Submit your application and application fee before deadlines. Do not miss the application deadline waiting for your test scores or accompanying materials.  Be sure to note your test date on your application.  Admission materials will be kept on file, even if they are received before the application.

How do I check to see if my transcripts have arrived from another University?

You can check to see if we have received your transcripts by logging back into your admission application account. 

How do I check to see if my official GRE, GMAT or TOEFL scores have arrived?

You can check to see if we have received your test scores by logging back into your admission application account.

Where do I check the status of my application?

You can check the status of your application by logging back into your admission application account.

To make any changes to your application, contact the School of Graduate Studies at: 320-308-2114 or e-mail

Can I change the term for which I was admitted?

Most programs can accommodate a delay.

  • If you decide to change the term you wish to begin, contact the graduate coordinator of the program to seek permission for a delayed start.
  • It is important that a deferment request is made and approved before the intended term of enrollment begins.
  • If the program grants your request an e-mail should be sent from the graduate coordinator to the School of Graduate Studies.
  • An admitted student, with program approval may defer enrollment for up to one year if approved by the program.
  • This process allows an admitted student three semesters (including summer term) from the initial desired term to enroll without needing to reapply.
  • Doctoral students may defer enrollment for up to two years to join the appropriate cohort.
  • Extensions beyond three semesters will necessitate the need to reapply and submit an application fee.

Where do I get a scholarship application?

Access the form online or pick up a scholarship application at the School of Graduate Studies in the Administrative Services Building, Room 121.

Where do I get a graduate assistantship application?

Register with the Career Center or pick up a graduate assistantship application at the School of Graduate Studies in the Administrative Services Building, Room 121. 

How do I access a graduate catalog?

You can access the graduate catalog online at:

Where can I find the class schedules?

View fall and spring class schedules using the online Course Schedule.
View summer class schedules online at:

How can I learn about financial aid?

You can contact the Financial Aid Office at (320) 308-2047 or visit their website at:

Where is the School of Graduate Studies?

The School of Graduate Studies at St. Cloud State University is located on campus in St. Cloud, Minnesota.  Our office is located in the Administrative Services Building, Room 121.

Connect with SCSU