Center for Continuing Studies
CompTIA™ Certification Training: Network+, Security+
Become CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ Certified
Information Technology (IT) specialists who deploy networks and manage secure systems are among the industry's most in-demand participants. For IT professionals who want to earn certification for their competencies in network operations and cybersecurity, the Network+ and Security+ certifications from the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA™) offer unsurpassed value and industry recognition. This 100% online course prepares you to sit for and pass CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ exams. Enrollment includes an optional voucher to cover exam fees.
Job Outlook for CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ Certifications
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects 5% job growth for Computer Network Architects between now and 2029. This is faster than the average growth forecast for all jobs. For Information Security Analysts, the BLS projects 31% job growth in that same timeframe. That makes Information Security Analysts one of the Bureau's fastest-growing career areas.
- According to CompTIA™, many professionals who hold both Network+ and Security+ certifications work as Network Engineers. The CompTIA™ IT Earning Index indicates that:
- beginning Network Engineers (0–2 years’ experience) earn between $45-$65,000 per year;
- salaries for intermediate Network Engineers (3–5 years) range from $75–$95,000.
- expert Network Engineers (6+ years) earn between $110-$150,000 per year.
CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ Certifications FAQs
What do the CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ exams involve?
The combination of Network+ and Security+ certifications prepares you to design, deploy and manage networks while ensuring their security against attack. The exams thoroughly cover these areas. Key topics include:
- Design and implement functional networks
- Configure, manage, and maintain network devices
- Identify benefits and drawbacks of existing network configurations
- Implement network security, standards, and protocols
- Troubleshoot network problems
- Assess the security posture of a network environment
- Recommend and implement appropriate security solutions
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT
- Operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance
- Identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents
Is CompTIA™ certification valuable?
Glassdoor.com lists CompTIA™ certifications among "The 8 Certifications That Actually Impress Recruiters." According to CompTIA™, 32% of its certified professionals receive pay increases, promotions or other rewards from their employers for completing their certification. High school graduates who earn CompTIA™ certification earn 22% more than their non-certified peers.
- Understand and explain a variety of networking concepts
- Implement best practices to manage networks
- Understand the digital threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities to IT systems
- Implement response procedures, risk mitigation techniques, and security features to IT systems
- Become better prepared for the CompTIA™ Network+ and Security+ certification exams
Prerequisites and Requirements
While there are no official prerequisites to take this course, CompTIA™ recommends at least 9 to 12 months of networking experience and two years of IT administration experience with a security focus.
This course prepares you to take and pass the COMPTIA™ NETWORK+ N10-007 exam. Key topics include:
- Foundations of Networking and Infrastructure
- Addressing, Protocols, and Routing
- Cabling and Wireless Networking
- Virtualization and the Cloud, Subnets, and VLANs
- Risk Management and Security
- Network Performance and WANs
This course prepares you to take and pass the COMPTIA™ SECURITY+ SY0-501 exam. Key topics include:
- Security Attacks and Cryptography
- Security and Networking
- Securing Networks and Clients
- Mobile Security and Access Management
- Business Continuity and Risk Mitigation
David Grimes has more than 10 years of management and leadership experience in the private and non-profit sectors. Grimes is passionate about technology and education, having worked as academic dean, student services director, technology coordinator, teacher, consultant, and technology columnist. He holds a Master of Education and a Bachelor of Science from Ohio State University, both in Technology Education.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin any time.